Different kinds of Virginia (red, dark, lemon?)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bluepipe, May 18, 2011.

1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Hello guys, how is everyone?

Brightleaf tobacco is what we call virginia. (it's in wikipedia so it must be correct!)

Are the different kinds that exist, produced only from changing the curing process? OR are there different Brightleaf plants that produce these different types?

I got a lot of tobaccos from AndyLowry and Black and the virginias taste different. I think they are red virginias - like Hal o The Wynd ?

I 've seen lemon virgnia somewhere online as well. What does that mean?

Thanks a lot

bluepipe
  2. Marc

Marc Member

Lemon Virginia is a type of Virginia, like orange, orange-red and red Virginia, are all different types of Virginia leaf, most of these come from the middle and old belt regions of the Carolina's and Virginia and when flue cured have a citrusy-tangy flavor profile which most people refer to as a high note Virginia.
  3. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

So all of these types are actually different kinds of tobacco plants? Flue curing is when there is heat but no smoke right?
  4. Marc

Marc Member

Yes and yes.
  5. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Thank you kind sir, you have been most helpful.
  6. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I can't believe nobody has mentioned West!:xd: Get it? West - Virginia.
  7. Pecci

Pecci Member

Unable to find now, but there is an article that breaks them down by looks and taste. You may want to try and search for it.
  8. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

That would be helpful.

There are some blends that I like and I need to know what's in them. They just say virginia though - but which kind?
  9. Marc

Marc Member

What are the blends?
  10. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

On the top of my head right now G&H No.2 flake. Glengarry. McBarens Virginia blend... These are the ones I remember I like and they just say virginia. (I've looked up Marlin and HOTW and found out what's in them)
  11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I think G&H's Virginia leaf is grown on the African continent...the soil and climate differences make for a slightly different flavor and strength profile than the same plants grown in the US. Another distinction you may find useful. Or not.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr Moderator Moderator

True. African burley is likewise different than the American variety.
  13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

*crickets chirping*
  14. Pecci

Pecci Member

I assume the soil types make the difference, or is it a different sub-species?
  15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

From the little I have gathered and remembered, yes, soil composition, along with many tangible and seemingly intangible factors are what cause there to be differences we pipe smokers can pick up. A geneticist, OTOH, may well notice nothing.
  16. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

African tobaccos are all radioactive mutants, and therefore delicious.

Bluepipe, that McClelland Virginia you have is #5100 "Red Cake." I'm sure I read somewhere sometime that it was a mix of three types, but now I can't find any info on it, so I may be suffering from a memory fault. More RAM won't help, I've already tried.
  17. Marc

Marc Member

McClelland Red Cake is a pure red virginia.
  18. dmkerr

dmkerr Moderator Moderator

Correct. In the cigar world, soil composition separates the hugely sought-after Cuban cigars from the Dominican, Honduran, Mexican, Nicaraguan, etc cigars. No magic beans, just soil and climate.