Different Way To Smoke Virginia Flakes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Luckistrykes, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

I don't recall if it was on this forum or the ****ty one i used to belong to but i had read of a way to smoke virginia flakes. it involved cutting the flake into little BBs and filling the pipe, without tamping or packing, simply fill it up, then smoke it again without tamping at all until absolutely needed. So Thought i would give it a try, grabbed some FVF and my peterson 150 and loaded it up. Now i will say the taste of the tobacco was brought out significantly, it was the sweetest FVF has ever tasted for me, however on the downside, it was also the only time i have had a moisture problem with either that pipe or tobacco, both of which i have used in combination together before. anyone else tried this method.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

When I smoke a flake tobacco I just break it up kind of rolling it around into a small ball and stuff, light, and tap as needed.

3. swobbie

swobbie Member

I am a jabber---I break it as I am pushing it in the bowl. Light, 3 draws, tap, relight. Simple, slow, smooth.

4. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

thats usually what i do, and on some occasions rub it out fully, never had a bad smoke either of those two ways

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Smoked mainly Virginias for most of my life and have a preference for flakes; I usually just rub them out and that works just fine. In the odd case of a really mutinous flake I reseort to Sas's "Canonball Pack" and that solves the problem,

Best to all

Gerry

6. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I have a Meer that is absolutely perfectly proportioned for Flakes. I fold once along the length, and twice end to end. It is a snug fit that leaves the air pocket down the bottom. It is simple, and I certainly prefer my Virginia Flakes folded over rubbed out. Longer, richer smoke for me.

Edited to say: If the flake is particularly wide, like Orlik Golden Sliced, I halve the width so it is more like a Peterson Irish Flake size.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

With rubbing-out, fold-screw or mooshing working just fine with flakes (for me) I haven't gotten around to slice-and-dice. I'd like to but it's hard enough keeping up with pipes, tobaks, pipecleaners and pipetools; don't know how I can find time to locate a little scissors whenever I wanna smoke a bowl o' flake. I will get around to it, though. Surely I will. Slice and dice advocates seem very keen on the method.

8. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I've tried it and also can't remember where I got it either.

It worked pretty much just like you described except I didn't the moisture problem. I don't use it very often because I don't like to have to put too much thought into my smoking...ruins the experience to me.
    So I just stuff it and set it afire.

9. woody

woody Admin Admin

It was posted here. Can't remember who though.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Mike Butera had an article on this method in the late 90's in P & T . Sounds like to much work . I rub out the flake .... some more than others . I'll try it for the hell of it though .

11. CBR

CBR Member

Yeah, remember reading it here too. It was an anecdote about a gentleman who went to a pipe show and was shown a new (to him) way to fill VA into the pipe. I've tried it once, unfortunatelty it was with a vanilla flavored VA flake so It always smoked slightly moist anyways. Now that you've brought up the topic again, I might give it another try with. Pure VA.

12. phinz

phinz Active Member

I'm a fold-n-stuffer, but I've tried the cubed thing. I used a paper cutter from my vinyl graphics biz. Worked a treat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.