Dispatch From the Front...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Darby, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darby

Darby New Member

Well, after much reading in the forums I went out and got a pipe at the local Tinderbox. I was looking at a really nice Savinelli, but went with one of their briar shop pipes as I'm still in the discovery phase.

Bought two types of tobacco, their Wilshire and the guy recommended his fav smoke, Georgian Cream. I like the Wilshire much better than the Cream. Today, I stopped in and asked for a straight no frills tobacco blend. I bought their Sherlock, and really enjoyed. What I know as of right now I'm not a aromatic fan. I'm also the type once I find something I like I tend not to switch a/o change, so...

Could someone please clue me in how to search for the non-aromatic type of tobaccos?. I also see a lot of your guys smoking tobaccos from tins, what are key words/descriptions when searching for the above mentioned type of tobacco? Please feel free to post any recommendations...TIA

Btw, thanks to all who've posted in here. Wealth of info and following your guys' directions on packing, lighting, tamping, and smoking allowed me to smoke a bowl to ash the first time. Oh yeah, just ordered me cob pipe tonight! :)

Monkeyshine and Old Codger like this.
  2. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

The best way to find different tins is to get on online retailers and look at their different varieties.

Most of the time the producer of the tobacco will put a description that includes what types of tobacco are used in the blend. They will also clue you into if it is an aromatic or not. Words like topping and/or flavoring generally indicate an aro.

Tobaccoreviews.com helped me out when browsing blends as the reviews will tell you the different types.

Some key words when looking at non-aromatic tobaccos are: Virgins, Burley, Latakia, etc.

It's all very overwhelming and after two years I still get confused as to what is in a blend and not in a blend.

Tobaccocellar.com also had a browse feature where you can browse blends by what you want in the tobacco.

Edit: Virginias not Virgins...those don't usually come in a tin.

Lukasaurus and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

There are literally thousands of tobacco blends if you look hard enough, if something leaps out at you in your searching, do a search for it on the forum, and feel free to ask as much as you want to, that's what we all are here for, to share and learn from and with each other:toast:
    Keep in mind, what many like, you might not, so sometimes you have to find people that like what you have found you like, then see what others they are smoking.
    Some like a lot of aro's, others don't like any aro's
    Some like a lot of Latakia, some like a lot of Perique.
    Everyone is right for themselves, and maybe wrong for everyone else, we all have to find our own choices, and its not easy
    Hang on tight and enjoy the ride!:th1:

Arkie likes this.
  4. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

One newb to another- check out the trading forum here on psf. There is a thread titled FNG/FOG. I *HIGHLY* recommend. It's set up so that you (the fng) buys a tin of the fog's fav tobacco. Once he gets it, he mails some samples of stuff he's amassed, based on your correspondence with ea. other.:toast:

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Don't dismiss the OTCs (Over The Counters), which are the one that can be found in our local super market or other store. Some recommendations:

Carter Hall
    Sir Walter Raleigh
    Sir Walter Raleigh Aromotatic
    Granger
    Half & Half
    Middleton's Cherry
    Prince Albert

just to name a few. They have been around for decades for a reason.

6. Darby

Darby New Member

Explorer, looked at that and will def post there...what a great idea!

Coastie, picked up some MC & CH up tonight, so will be trying those. The smoke shop I went to also has PA and SWR, that's next! :)

Thanks!

7. SteveNH

SteveNH Active Member

Just curious, are you a former smoker? I could see liking the straight tobacco more than aromatics if that is the case. Of course, it is only my humble opinion.

Being a new pipe smoker I gravitated to the aromatics first. I also have never smoked cigars or cigarettes. I tried Orlik Golden Sliced, loved the smell, but ultimately enjoy the aromatics much better for now.

8. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

If you liked Wilshire (which you post seems to indicate) you do like aromatics, at least a little, as it is indeed an aromatic.

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Aromatics are more pervasive than you might think. Technically speaking, Sir Walter Raleigh or Carter Hall are aromatics, as are MacB's Golden Extra, Burley London Blend, and Scottish Mixture. But these are all very (very, very) light aros. They tend to give off a room note that is a sweet sort of something. It's tobacco-like, but it's not quite a pure tobacco aroma. I call them "pipe-like" room notes. You might want to give these a try.

Also, Stokkebye makes a few blends that are very similar (and pretty good): Cubed Burley, Natural Dutch Cavendish, and Aromatic Dutch Slices (which is not, BTW, a flake blend). Sutliff (aka Altadis) also makes a couple of blends that fall into this category: CD Blend and Great Outdoors. I'll give you a note of caution on Great Outdoors, though. It's got a distinct vanilla licorice flavor to it, and many people either love it or hate it. I like it, but I couldn't amoke it every day. CD Blend, on the other hand, has an old-timey flavor that I really like and I could smoke it every day. (It's the very light Latakia seasoning that does it for me).

Rodfather likes this.
  10. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

If you are not liking the really flavored aro's like the "Cream" you mentioned, try something alongthe lines of the Frog Morton line or maybe Prebeteryian. FM are sort of English and they have four to choose from. I like FM Across the Pond and FM On the Town, myself but I know that FM Cellar is very popular also as well as plain Frog Morton. Presbeteryian is in class all of its own. Very creamy but NOT in a "flavor added" kind of way. Rather, the natural creaminess of the tobacco with just a touch of Latika. That is just my thoughts on what a new smoker should give go at.
    Remember to SIP the pipe smoke. Small tastes until you know what you like and are doing with it.
    Good luck Ranger Danger!

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

A different opinion - make the re(and e-)tailers earn their pay. Call smokingpipesdotcom's retail store, or call Rich at 4noggins.com, and ask to speak to someone who will advise you on a tobacco purchase. Tell them your story, and ask them to put together a sample pack (based on your wants) within a price range you can deal with. It may be 2, 4, or 10 blends, whatever you can work out.
    We can recommend stuff to you until we are blue in the face, and we don't have a nickel in it. Ask the guy who wants your business, and who will listen to you - if you are not satisfied with one outfit, move on to the next.

12. Darby

Darby New Member

Wilshire was ok, I enjoyed it much more than the cream, but I don't think it'd be my first choice.

No, not a cig smoker, did dip Copenhagen for many years, tho.

Thanks for all the recommendations will look into them...and thanks for the contact on getting an assortment of trial blends. That sounds like to way to go.

I did try Middleton Cherry out of my cob and it had a bit of a tongue bite, perhaps I don't have it broken in yet. CH on the other hand was very enjoyable. Will try SWR & PA next.

Just a quick question to the field, what do you guys do when you just want a quick smoke? For instance at a truck stop while traviling, break at work, after lunch, etc. Just smoke part of the bowl, fill only part of the bowl, smaller pipe like tavern?

Thanks guys, great forum, so much info in here.

13. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Trying to smoke "part of a bowl" really just wastes the rest of that bowl. IMHO, either pack a small amount of baccy into your bowl or just hold out until you have time to smoke a whole bowl. It shall taste all the better. Just my opinion there though.

14. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

There are pipes with very small bowls that are good for 10-12 minutes smokes and pa and ch are tobys that smoke fast. You can also do some "delayed gratification technique" load up a pipe full and only smoke a quarter then come back later on and smoke the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.