1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Do clay pipes ghost?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by NBPipe, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Got a new clay and wondering if I will have issues with ghosting.

2. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Screw it. Going to load a bowl and enjoy my first clay experience :)

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Uhh, yes they can! I've received some brand new unsmoked clays that were stored near some sachet/pot-pouri and the flowery/perfumey taste and smell comes thru on several if not all the smokes.....at least until i burn that essence outta there!;). Sometimes, ghosts can contribute to the present smoke...other times (often) not. Go forward clay newb! Enjoy!

Ed
    Puff

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

No. They're too awesome for that.

However, if you let them cake up, or let them accumulate 'crud'...well, that may muck up later smokes.

5. CarlHerrnstein

CarlHerrnstein Member

They will get sour after many smokes, but they can be fire cleaned they come out looking new.

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

ALL pipes can ghost. That said, clays take to ghosting somewhat less than briars. If it DOES start getting "spooky" you can toss it (gently!) into the coals of the charcoal grill...it'll come out spanking clean once the coals have cooled. Bet you can't do THAT with your briars!!!

7. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

My little claydog got ghosted by some Ennerdale (finally remembered to stop calling it Erinmore! LOL). It ghosted hard from one bowl, but it eventually went away. Eventually.

8. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Wow! Clay pipes are fantastic. I bought this one:

http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_p2003S.php

Great draw and you can really get a sense of what baccy you're smoking. My only fear is breaking it :puffy:

As an aside, the gentleman who owns the shop where I ordered it from is great. A hand-signed thank you letter, instructions on how to care and clean it were also included. First class operation. :th1:

9. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

Nice choice! I have the same one from them, I love it for flakes and VAs.

10. CarlHerrnstein

CarlHerrnstein Member

DLWJohn likes this.
  11. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

12. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

You know I had one bad experience with clays and haven't messed with them since. My mom brought me one that was a souvenir from the British Virgin Islands, a nice looking little clay pipe with Celtic Knotwork all around the bowl in the shape of a horse.

Looked great, gift box was fancy, came with a scroll of authenticity. Smoked hot hot HOT, wet, gross! You know that wet BLECH taste a pipe that is smoked hot and put away wet over and over without getting properly cleaned gets? That's what the clay she gave me did from day one.

I tried cleaning it with pipe cleaners, booze, everything, still wet and hot. Draw is too tight to even get a pipe cleaner down it which makes me think that's part of the problem. I dropped in and broke it and have been hesitant to get another. Should I give it another go?

13. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

I'd say gor for it. IMHO clays are right up there with cobs for the smoke you get for the money, sounds like you maybe got the bad apple of the bunch. I smoke moist flakes and twists out of my clays and they smoke cool and dry as anything.

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

15. CarlHerrnstein

CarlHerrnstein Member

SmokeyJoe, I had the unplesent expereance of boring out and lining a rifle barrel that was severaly pitted and that is the only place I could find the liner in the right caliber, I'll never do that again.

StoneGiant you should give them another try the one you got was probly a "wall hanger" and not meant to be smoked. Iv gotten pipes from penn valley and track of the wolf and the smoke has been cool and dry the bowl gets hotbut the smoke is cool.

16. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

The advice round here has been pretty top notch so far, looks like I know what I'm buying along with the pipe cleaners I'm going to Tinder Box tomorrow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.