Do "fluid" lighters impart unwanted flavor into a pipe smoke?

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by remington, Jan 28, 2013.

1. remington

remington Member

Hi y'all. I've read in cigar forums that unless it's a butane lighter, other "zippo" type lighters (not knocking zippos, I used to own a few and like them) impart unwanted flavors into the cigar smoke. Wood matches are said to be ok if you allow the sulfur to burn off. The purists use cedar spills to light their cigars. I personally light my tobacco (cigar or pipe) with whatever I have handy like the long clicky thing you use to light your grill when the button clicker doesn't work anymore. Lately it's been matches from a $1.50 box of wood matches.

Is this true for pipes?
  2. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat

3. Tate

Tate Member

I've heard a lot of people swear by the fluid lighters, but I must say that I've stopped using them completely. I had a zippo pipe lighter and I went through a ton of different fuels in an attempt to find one that wouldn't ruin the first puffs of a pipe, and I was unsuccessful. Even the highest grade fuel has a smell and taste. It helps to let the zippo burn a few seconds before lighting the pipe, but even then it is detectable. For my money, I would def go with a butane lighter.
    dwaugh likes this.
  4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Prepare for an onslaught of conflicting answers! (Duck! :D)

In my opinion, a zippo does give off a slight taste, but goes away quickly enough that it's not such a big deal. That said, I tend to use butane or matches.
    kb7get, remington and Professor like this.
  5. Professor

Professor Active Member

IDK. It's butane or matches for me.
  6. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Strictly butane for pipes but I use a Zippo to light my cigarettes.
  7. remington

remington Member

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold " It takes a Pro to smoke an Aro " [ RG] Mayor

As long as it's fire I'm good to go . I do have a zippo pipe lighter/s .... you can taste it a little .. just for a second or two but the trick is to use the tip of the flame ...which is impossible when it's windy . I just manned up to it along time ago . it does light a pipe in the wind and being I'm outside most of the time .. I have on the belt pouch

[​IMG]
    WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  9. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Daddy used to say "suck it and see":)
    OT
    dwaugh likes this.
  11. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Sales Account

Perhaps a little. I think Tate nailed it when he said let it burn for a second or two before drawing into your pipe. I've used Zippo, Xikar, Colibri, etc. Now, I use matches or a $1.00 bic lighter from the gas station. Absolutely no need for an expensive pipe lighter...unless you just want one (and there's nothing wrong with that).
  12. Stewart

Stewart Member

I also find that zippo's leave a distinct taste when used. I prefer butane or matches, like many others.
  13. noodle

noodle Member

There is a bit of a taste of naptha at first but for me its either that or dont smoke as I only smoke outside. Matches would be nice but in a bit of wind, I dont think so.
    I dont mind the taste, if you view the whole experience as part of smoking then packing, clunk of a zippo taste ofa zippo followed by taste of the tobacco is a relativley pleasant routine
    ruffinogold likes this.
  14. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

I used wood matches exclusively for awhile and recently switched over to a zippo to try it. It's not a "pipe lighter", just a regular zippo. I let it burn for a second or two and didn't notice any off flavorings- my biggest issue was trying to get the flame into the bowl..
  15. dmkerr

dmkerr Moderator Moderator

Yes. It's one of the reasons I don't use Zippo lighters.
  16. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in a bunker in an undisclosed location!

Yeah, it gives off a brief taste/smell, but it dissipates quickly. I use mine mostly in the winter. I will say though I'm in love with my Corona Ol' Boy and have been using that almost exclusively! I can go 2-3 weeks without having to fill it up. The Zippo goes 3-4 days and then it's dry! Plus for some reason I can go a couple of months without having to put a new flint in. The Zippo goes through flints much more quickly. It's not the price of flints, it's having to carry one in the bottom of the insert. Then to change the flint, half the fuel evaporates. Just too much work.
  17. hansel

hansel Member

i use a zippo and the only time i can taste the fluid is if my wick is to long, i over fill it, and no matter what i can always really taste it when i smoke burleys so i avoid the zippo when it comes to smoking those
  18. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I don't like the Zippo fuel taste (I have 2, and love them for anything other than the pipe). I use matches almost everywhere, even when its windy I can light the pipe with 3 matches or less. About the only time I'll light the pipe with a lighter is in the car, matches take a bit longer to light and I don't really like being distracted when I drive. Really wish Zippo would create a fuel that have no taste...
  19. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

Oh yeah, and I pay 10cents US for a box of about 50 matches. Wonder what the difference is between 10cent matches and $1.50 matches? :msty:
  20. Pfeifenraucher

Pfeifenraucher Member

I use cheap butane lighters almost exclusively. Matches on occasion. Years ago, my cousin gave me a Nimrod pipe lighter and I quit using it because of the taste it left behind.:bing: