1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Do I have PAD?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cmw00, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmw00

cmw00 Member

That is Pipe Acquisition Disorder right? In the last two weeks, I've bought 5 pipes off Ebay, 2 or 3 cobs locally.

Is their a cure or should I not worry about it?

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Sounds like you are a typical happy sufferer. Sadly there's nothing you can do other than learn to live with this chronic condition - some sufferers have however become accomplished pipesmiths; the only other suggestions I can offer are to change jobs to better paid employment or like overtime!

Welocme to the PAD Ward!

Best meantime

Gerry ( sufferer since 1968 )

3. cmw00

cmw00 Member

The way I look at it. Whats to loose on a $4-$7 cob, or a bid of similar amount or up to $15 or $20 on ebay? I make low ball bids and if I win, I win if not, who cares, plenty more to bid on. If I don't like the pipe, I figure I should come close to breaking even if I flip them around again on ebay. Maybe a little better than even after cleaning some of them up, taking better pics, and offering better descriptions.

Actually my strategy of bidding on what looks like well used pipes, in the hopes/thoughts that they'd be good smokers, seems to pay off pretty good. Haven't ever had too many duds using this technique.

4. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Yep - you've got it :|
    can't fight it..... Resistance is Futile

Welcome (newly stricken Sufferer since Jan 2010)

5. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I'm convinced the only cure is to have them all. And even then you'll want spares. Even running out of money is no cure, because you'll still long for a new pipe.

Welcome to the PAD club. :)

6. Legend

Legend Member

You've hit upon something here that I've come to realize in the past few months. Some of these pipes I've got off of Ebay that looked neglected and smoked out are darn good smokers! A fellow on an other forum put it this way: those pipes that have stems that are chewed a little, bowls almost caked shut, etc. were really loved by someone and were smoked a lot probably because they were good smokers. The few duds I got were almost like new!

7. pottsy

pottsy Member

He who dies with the most pipes, well is dead.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

...and will have his Executor hounded endlessly until he/she sells them! (Hopefully, to one of us!)

9. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

That's not PAD, that's gonorrhea! Trust me. I'm a doctor.

Really though, you've got PAD. Embrace it. My girlfriend is finally coming to terms with the fact that I have PAD, and she too just realized that there is no cure, but there is symptom relief. Just buy more pipes! Pretty soon you'll be bursting to buy the really pretty ones on smokingpipes, mars, etc. Good luck...

10. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Well my plan is to decide on a number of decent cheaper smokers, maybe 10 or 15, or 20 IDK, and then start saving my pennies for the "nicer" pipes. Cutting back to maybe a couple a month of the more expensive ones.

Cobs will remain unlimited. I often buy a new cob when I try a new tobacco of some different taste.

11. Boctok

Boctok Member

"If there's a cure for this, I don't want it; don't want it."
    "If there's a remedy, I'll run from it; run from it."

Guess where that is coming from! For the first correct answer, a free pipe cleaner is coming your way! Name the song and the artist.

12. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Love Hangover - Diana Ross

you can keep the pipe cleaner :roflmao:

13. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Yes you have PAD and there is no cure. I'm sorry. Your life will be better for it. Welcome to the club! Phil.

14. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Pipemon "Gotta have 'em all"!
    :roflmao:

(Pokémon spoof coming up)

15. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

You know what they say...."If you gotta ask"................. :cheers:

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Asking if you have "something" is usually a late stage of denial. Admit it, you know you have PAD and once you realize that, as stated, your life will be that much better. For me, it's cyclic. Sometimes I'll pick up several in a fury and then it troughs..........sort of "bipolar-PAD" :thumbsu:

Right now, I'm troughin' with regards to PAD and am coming down from a fury of activity in TAD. They both peak whenever and on their own cycle(s). For me, TAD is more frequent than PAD but that's just for now........ :whistle:

As for 10,15, of 20 "cheaper" pipes and cobs r unlimited, well I totally agree with the cobs are unlimited, but there will be eventually a limit on the cobs even when you've got multiples of the same pipe going. As for the other (10,15,20,etc), I'd like to give a touch of advice if I may, GET YOURSELF A NICE ARTISAN PIPE EARLY! Take the $$$ you'd have spent on say 10-15 "cheapoz" and lay it down on a known superb smoker and is fairly consistent in their reviews. You'll thank yourself (and me) for this. Trust me.

Why spend your time and money on mediocrity when you can take the same moneys and put it towards perfection? It's quality, NOT quantity. You'll enjoy your timez with your pipez way much-mo!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

17. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

CCC, Puff gave me the same speech a month or so ago in person. It has been a pricy month. :roflmao:

18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wellcome aboard the USS PAD .. boat of you're screwed . Try not to fight it to much ... you'll lose . Just don't lose yer wife over it . When you get to 200 you'll probably want to scale back ... ya know ... to like 100 better pipes .. lol

19. Puff The Magic

Apologies Sean! Hope I didn't wreck any harmonious homelife you've been enjoying.........

Onto the topic. Don't get me wrong, some "cheapoz" can and do smoke very nicely and some smoke better than some of the high priced pipes out there. Or at least equally as well IMO. One of the deterrents to a new piper getting an artisan pipe is the price but if you do your homework, you can find many handmades that aren't that expensive (may cost the price of 5-10 "cheapoz"). Fer instance, let's take Kaywoodies/Grabows, both smoke very well and are ~$30-40/copy, maybe a little less. For the price of 5 of them, you can get into many of the pipes offered by the pipesmiths on PSF or a Kaywoodie Handmade, or a Tinsky (non-star'd, coral). The laws of diminishing returns definitely apply in pipes for sure. Keep in mind the pricepoint for what's generally considered a real good smoker is ~$100-150-ish, +/-. So the choice is yours, you're the one smoking your pipes. Get what you want or at least what your heart tells you and what your wallet will allow. If there's a disparity between the two (heart & wallet), then start saving now. You'll get there.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

20. Puff The Magic

Additionally, just because a pipe has a high price tag, it in no way guarantees that it's gonna smoke with the quality that SHOULD go along with the high price. So, most definitely "buyer beware". Buy a pipe! NOT art.......art just collects dust!

again, 3-cents

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.