1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Dedicate Pipes To A Blend? Pipes In Rotation?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Marc, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc

Marc Active Member

In my early years of pipe smoking and collecting I amassed over 300 pipes and use to smoke countless different tobaccos from aromatics to Balkan/English blends, I was all over the place with pipes and tobaccos. There was no rhyme or reason to my tobacco or pipe selection at the time. Then an old codger friend of mine took me under his wing and showed me the way to smoking bliss, bear in mind, this friend only owned 3 or 4 pipes and only smoked two different tobaccos his entire life that I know of, each tobacco dedicated to a pipe or two and he thoroughly enjoyed pipe smoking too. He told me I was foolish for spending so much money on pipes that never got smoked enough and that smoking different tobaccos in different pipes all the time would never properly season a pipe. Well this friend of mine passed many years ago but before he did I started dedicating a few pipes here and there at the time to sort of appease him but it wasn't long before I realized for myself the difference this started making in the flavor and taste of my pipes.

I do not own 300+ pipes anymore but I do have several three pipe rotations for blends I smoke on a regular basis. I am a firm believer in dedicating new pipes to a blend because after you have burned about 50 or 60 bowls of the same tobacco in the same pipe you will know what I am talking about, it made a believer out of me. Like Gerry often says concerning Falcons, you need a minimum of 3 bowls for a rotation and I agree, you need at least three pipes for a rotation of a blend and that's basically what I have now for the Virginia tobaccos I smoke, each Virginia has its own dedicated three pipes. Like now, I'm breaking in three new Savinelli billiards for 5100 because I sold my other ones.

So my question is, do any of you dedicate pipes to just one blend? And if so, how many?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm certainly getting there. I think that a lot of the "Why does this tobacco taste so good in this particular pipe?" types of questions are related to the pipe's history. I separate my pipes by style of tobacco to be sure, and I don't know that I would see a difference in pipes dedicated to say, Maltese Falcon and British Woods if I swapped them, because they are similar blends. But if I wanted to get every nuance of the Falcon, I would dedicate a pipe, yes.

Anyone unsure of this can do a simple test by smoking a single bowl of Ennerdale in any pipe they own, and then trying to chase the soapy taste out for the next 20 or so bowls. It's less of an issue with virginias, but if you smoke 20 bowls of ... whatever, let's say Best Brown Flake, then switch to some other blend, it will taste of best brown.

I've got about 15 pipes that I use frequently, 1 fruity aromatic, 1 lakeland, 3 or 4 English pipes, 3 or 4 virginia only, 3 or 4 that see a lot of Presbyterian, and a couple workhorses that get whatever I feel like smoked in them on any given day.

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Right now I have 5 pipes. 2 briars and 3 cobs. I try to dedicate the briars but smoke anything and everything in the cobs.

After going from 1 tobacco to another it's almost like Christmas morning....you never know what your gonna get..taste wise.

I know I'll be dedicating more as I add more briars though.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Sas, that's why I dedicate pipes to Virginia blends individually; I want unadulterated taste, no crossover or tainting of the flavor profile.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

I dedicate briars to individual Virginia blends and like you, I use cobs for everything else but I do have a Grabow or two for random blend smoking.

6. Paul99

Paul99 Member

Nah, I collect pipes, because I love the detail of the pipes, and the various pipe tobacco that is out there, one day I would like to have a collection at least 30+, but thats in my pallet.

I would understand using one tobacco for a pipe, and the flavor never changes in the pipe.
    meaning in my confusing words, the taste stays the same and the flavor of the tobacco you buy will taste the same and the next the residue from a later tobacco you smoked.

but like I said, you know more about pipes than I do, i've only been smoking my lovely pipes for 7 months and enjoy various flavors in my few pipes I have so far.

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Four of my pipes are dedicated to OGS; four to aromatics (BCA and Blue Note); three to light aromatics like Santee and one pipe is given over to latakia, which means Spilman Mixture these days. I'm thinking of getting another pipe for the latakia.

Bri2k

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Wait until you get about 50 or 60 bowls of OGS in one of those pipes, you'll see! It will blow your mind how well it will taste and that pipe will practically smoke OGS by itself!

9. Demented

Demented Member

Yes and no. 8 for English mixtures, 3 for Cavendish and 3 for 5100. Once the Maltese Falcon and Pirate Kake in the cellar are gone, the English mixture pipes will be dedicated to Westminster.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Glad to see you dedicated a few to 5100 it will make a difference in time. ;)

11. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

One group for aromatics, one group for VA's and VA/Per's, and one group for English/Balkans...

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

In the beginning,I would stick to a strict rotation,but now that I have enough pipes,I enjoy dedicated pipes much more.

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I have over 130 pipes on the shelf now. A few I have "dedicated" to Virginia, some to aromatics, some to latakia blends, and even 3 that are for the FM series only.
    Most of them, though, are open for whatever I choose to throw in them at the time.
    I even have a couple of gifted Brylon pipes (I'm too cheap to throw them away) that I will use if anyone drops by and wants to try Mixture 79. Since I can see no other use for them, I guess that means that they are "dedicated", too.
    Dan

14. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Mix XX + Brylon, holy crow :goodjob:
    If that's how you treat your freinds I'd hate to see how you treat your enemies B)

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Instead of dedicating 1 pipe to 1 blend, I think that I have tried to find a few blends that compliment each other. ie, Penzance will taste good in a pipe that gets Ten Russians, but will taste lousy in a pipe that predominently gets 5110.

16. piper965

piper965 Member

I tend to classify my pipes more to styles than specific blends. I have pipes dedicated to lats, pipes dedicated to aros, pipes for english. I do think that I will add a pipe or 2 just for VAs after reading your How To Smoke VAs thread.

Thanks!

17. Marc

Marc Active Member

[​IMG]

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

I dedicate three pipes to a blend, I find there are too many differences between Virginias to group them all together.

19. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I think my tastes are still too all over the place to dedicate one pipe to one blend. I have my Va'a, VaPer's, English, 2 orientals, 1 aromatic, meers and cobs. This may change in the future but looking at my cellar I highly doubt it.

20. Marc

Marc Active Member

I firmly believe Virginia tobaccos need their own dedicated pipes to truly enjoy the subtle nuances and flavor profiles of a quality Virginia leaf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.