Do you ever go on a one-tobacco jag?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mister Moo, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I've been on a Dark Twist jag. I was in my local a while back and they were closing out a few blends at half price so I snarfed a pound of MacB DT. I can't stop smoking it. This is the longest single-blend run I've ever been on. Weeks, really, less finishing up a small tin of Holger Dansk. You go long stretches with just one tobacco or do you always mix it up?

Sasquatch mentioned "Dark Twist" in 73-of-196 instances per Search function; he accounts for fully 37% of the references. The guy likes Dark Twist. I kept trying to like it it (because Sas is my hero) and finally, over a period of years, came around to thinking it was a pretty good smoke. I also learned one reason why Sas is a "cannonball" pipe filling proponant; Dark Twist is a VERY easy flake tobacco to roll, wad and stuff. Lovely smoke.

Spillproof, DeusExMachina and Albert like this.
  2. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

DT is still on my list of tobacco to buy. Now I only want it more... I've been on a VA kick lately. The longest I've ever gone with a single blend was for 3 weeks with Squadron Leader. The only reason I stopped smoking it was because I was beginning to forget how other tobaccos tasted. :confused:

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't recall if it was two or three years ago, but I smoked P&W 400 for a couple of months.

Dondi likes this.
  4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

No but thought about it\thinking about it.

5. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I'm on a PA rut right now, because I don't have anything else but some worthless PS cube cut right now! LOL. Oh well, at least it's good stuff and I have a tub of it.

6. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

My first year smoking pipes, I smoked Captain black white label exclusivly, more out of need than want, but i figure it still counts!

7. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Last winter, I was smoking Ashton's Old Dog for about a month, and I gotta' tell you, I really didn't want to smoke anything else. Thinking about doing that again soon with a different toby (maybe GLP Westminster?).

Just waiting for this 100+ degree weather here in California to go away (too hot to smoke anything right now--not that I've stopped).

jpberg likes this.
  8. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

Doing a week of McC's 3 Oaks Syrian right now.

9. phinz

phinz Active Member

I don't unless I guilted into doing a codger week.

Morse and Albert like this.
  10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Not often, but sometimes when I open a tin of new-to-me tobacco, I'll smoke nothing but it until it's gone.

I did go almost a full week smoking nothing but C&D Oriental Silk when I first discovered it. But that kind of behavior is rare for me.

11. Mister Moo

That's pretty typical for me - pop a tin and smoke it until it's gone or, maybe, grab an ounce or two of bulk and just smoke that for a few days.

Weeks on one blend is new territory.

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I find that for the most part, I smoke 4-5 blends exclusively for a month. Having a lot of choices is great but after putting all those choices together, I found myself spending part of my smoking time trying to make a decision! :doh: So I tend to keep it simple... a VA, a VaPer, a burley, a latakia and one that's a combo.

13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I smoked one blend for about ten years (pre-internet days! :rolleyes:) and often go back to it for several weeks at a time - simply 'cos it's the best!......no prizes..etc. etc.!
    OT

14. PatDreadful

PatDreadful Member

For the first year or two I was on the pipe it was nothing but Middleton’s Cherry. After that, I think I was almost three years with nothing but Captain Black (white). I did this purely out of ignorance more than anything else. It wasn’t until my local B&M raised the price of Captain Black that I looked for a better price on the internet and realized there was this HUGE culture out there with tons of options.

Since expanding my palate, I usually have 4-6 in rotation but can’t really stick with one time-after-time. The closest I have ever come was when I discovered Frog Morton on the Bayou and stuck with that for about a month. I tried smoking other things but I always wished I had the Frog. That quickly came to an end when a fellow PSF member recommended P&C Ambassador’s Blend.

15. Duke

Duke Member

Going back to the mid to late 70’s I smoked Dunhill tobaccos. If I tired of a particular blend I’d switch. I may have been on a 965 bender for months, maybe a year. Then I would tire of 965 and switch to Light Flake or other Dunhill for a period. I seldom don’t jump around brand wise. Currently I’m smoking Royal Yacht day in and day out since late March. When Dunhill temporarily left the US market that was a huge ass ache for me and other Dunhill fans. As far as I could guess Dunhill was heading for extinction. Looking for replacements was one disappointment after the other. I remember trying different Virginians for Light Flake. Hal’ O’ the Wynd won my favor, so I bought a trial pound. I needed a pound to run it through its paces, through my pipes. I like familiarity- it doesn’t breed contempt in me. What I do find so puzzling are the folks on Tobacco Reviews.com submitting a grocery list (10-15 blends)of tobaccos for review at once. How can you draw a sensory or taste conclusion with two bowls from a 50 gram tin? It took me a month of daily smoking to draw a conclusion. BTW: has anyone else notice that Orlik is getting nearer to the original cut of Royal Yacht. Finally does it smoke quickly like the original.

16. Mister Moo

When did you notice a change in the RY cut, Duke? I haven't bought any since it first arrived back in the US.

Nice to hear from an old Dunhill hand. Do you find the new Dunhill Flake up to the challenge of Light Flake as much as I do?

17. Duke

Duke Member

Just recently. I purhcased tins recently, compared them to existing stock and found a new lot number. I opened the new batch and was pleasantly surprised. Recently, the cut resembled ribbon cut. The darker Virginians (black) flavor, for me, was too out front. The older shag or riff cut burnt with greater spontaneity allowing a more singular flavor.

18. Duke

Duke Member

I think Flake is reasonably close. I found I liked IRC Flake, but didn’t become my alternate. It’s better priced than Flake. I thought the topping on the IRC seemed remarkably similar to Light Flake. So though the IRC seemed closure in some area it wasn’t exact, I found HOW slightly different and yet more appealing.

19. Duke

Duke Member

Correction: I meant to say IRC Virginian Flake and not IRC Flake. The staff even mentioned the similarity in taste to Light Flake.

20. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Longest I've ever been was two tins worth. Erinmore Balkan blend. It was more of the circumstances though than an actual choice. I was away from home and I had to find something decent to smoke. I wasn't feeling disappointed though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.