1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a favorite "ghost"?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ol Brokedik, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Up to now, we've talked about the "ghost" left behind in our briars as something being undesirable. I'm going to talk now about the desirable type of, "ghost".

Half of my pipes are meerschaums and the other half briars. I like them all for different reasons. What I can do with my briars, is leave behind pleasant memories of the smoke I just had. Some of my briars are dedicated to just one tobacco. Here are my three favorite ghosts.

C&D Pirate Kake in a Boswells Oom Paul.
    C&D Autumn Evening in a Nording calabash.
    C&D Blockade Runner in a Savinelli 606.

I can smell each pipe a day after smoking them and they'll all retain the aroma their tobacco. A pleasant benefit that comes free of charge.

Q. What's your favorite ghost?

Ol Brokedik.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Penzance in my beard.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  3. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

St. Bruno in ky Savinelli Texas Tradition, a billiard. Leaves the best ghost in my pipe and its dedicated to good ol' SBF.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I smoked PA in my Ben Wade today. Until now, the only tobacco to grace the walls of the bowl was McClelland 2045. The first half of the bowl had a pleasing flavour reminiscent of it.

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have a large bent apple Sas pipe dedicated to Shortcut to Mushrooms. It smells like STM even days or a week later, though it does get a little faint. The cake is very different than other pipes too, in appearance. It's jet black and very thin and does not seem to be apt to build much, which is OK by me. The STM cake really enhances the flavor of the smoke.

I also have a Wiley freehand that I've dedicated to Lane 1Q. It has a great smelling cake and the ghost of 1Q improves the fullness of the flavor.

There are a few other tobaccos I have that I would like to dedicate a pipe to, but I'll need more pipes before I can make that happen. My remaining pipes are dedicated to similar blend/tobacco types.

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have two pipes dedicated to Condor Flake...a wee billiard meer and a cob, both, very small bowls. Now I'm something of a nic-lightweight so there are times when I want the flavor and aroma of my Condor, but not the associated punch. I'll fill one of these two with 5100....the best of both worlds!

7. BradNTX

OBD your thread inspired me to create a "Pipe & Toby Codec". Using a spreadsheet, I listed my pipes on the far left verticle column. The grids going horizontally from each pipe has the associated tobacco and quantity next to it. I even included pipes from my PAD list and tobacco from my TAD list on the grid.

My goal is to have 23 pipes (11 now) with 5 dedicated to a single tobacco and the rest used for a specific tobacco type each.

8. Ol Brokedik

That's a good idea. I try to remember things but if I go past the number 3, my thoughts get like smoke in the wind. Almost there but not quite.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

I don't smoke any tobaccos that ghost my pipes.:(

10. BradNTX

Marc, are you joshing us? :cfsd:

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

All I have been smoking in my falcon are virginia flakes which do not really leave a ghost like aromatics or latakia blends, etc.

12. Ol Brokedik

Interesting. To learn more about our hobby, I'd like to know what you smoke. Educate me, please.

Thanks.
    Ol Brokedik.

Ooops. Looks like you already covered it.

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

I like the ghost of "vanilla's." One of my favorites is Tinderbox's Wilshire (which is really Lane 1Q). After a few bowls of that, I find a Virginia [like OGS or DH Flake (a.k.a. GAF)] to be a bit sweeter, especially when first lit.

My mouth is starting to water...

14. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Condor...... Best ghost I've ever meet......wish it would come back.....

15. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Me too Jes....Damned Brits are hogging it all! LOL
    With it's popularity here in the States, one would think SOMEONE in the business would find a way to import it....

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....don't be greedy, ya can't have everything! - be satisfied we send you sporadic shipments from our celebrated Lake District blenders!.....but personally - I wish someone here would start importing Carter Hall!:xd:
    OT

17. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I've yet to taste a latakia ghost, but i can't think of a single tobacco i really enjoy that would be spoiled by more latakia flavour ;)

18. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Casper - he just seems so friendly?:laff:

MakDragon likes this.
  19. Ol Brokedik

I always thought Casper was a little on the "sissy" side.

20. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I have four dedicated pipes, Two Amadeus pipes; one for MacB Navy Flake, one for McC Navy Cav (that I mix Latakia in with), an ol' YelloBole checker for PA, and a Custom-bilt for Balkan Supreme. the ghosts are Marvelous and I wouldn't dare smoke anything but the dedicated tobacco in them ok I might slip a bowl of distinguished gentleman in the YelloBole, but even that's Pure bliss with the PA ghost and contributes rather than contrasts so I fudge it in there now and then. the Amadeus pipes I've been working on for six years, they were my first "good" pipes and smoke like a dream

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.