Do you put a new pipe in your mouth before buying it?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ol Brokedik, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

When you're looking at new pipes, do you actually put the stem in your mouth to check the draw? What if the last guy to put that pipe in his mouth stopped at the B&M after he got his prescription filled for Herpes. Just wondering.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

2. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

No. And, I hadn't thought about it at all until I read your post. Thanks a lot. I'm glad I don't buy pipes anymore. :D

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

many tobacconists have tiny plastic slip over bags for this purpose. when they have them, I use them.

4. WisconsinPiper

WisconsinPiper Member

Bring some alcohol wipes with you. Not baby wipes but the real deal they use at hospitals. I would ask the owner before doing this though as it seems to take a little of the shine off the stems.

Or just find a hooker and get oral herpes on purpose, then you don't need to worry at all! :thumbsu:

5. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

:thumb:

6. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I wouldn't test a pipe that way. It just creeps me out so I assume it would make most other potential buyers a little squeamish, too. I think, though, most bacteria and viruses can't really live too long on a pipe's mouthpiece anyway, so it really shouldn't matter too much. Further, many pipe store owners wouldn't like it. Too bad, though, since draw is one of the most important factors in whether it is a good pipe.

7. Ol Brokedik

Pipe condoms?

8. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

To check the balance of a pipe, I'll pinch the bit between my index finger and thumb, and flail my arm around like a chicken with its head cut off...if the pipe bounces around, I know its no clencher.
    Other than seeing if the pipe will pass a pipe-cleaner, I haven't figured out a good (sterile) way to check the draw.

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Puttin' your gob on a unsold pipe is no worse than sittin' on a public toilet...no better, either. You could layer your face with T.P. much like you would a toilet seat, but man, the stares...

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this issue comes up at all, what with so many people here buying estate pipes. I started my pipe smoking days before I smoked pipe tobacco. In the "other" shops where I used to enjoy purchasing pipes ("for tobacco use only!") there are virtually always signs reading: You lip it, you buy it!

It never occurred to me to do so until recently, after being advised to do so sometimes. I believe the local Tinderbox does not allow it. I'd want to check first with the locally owned B&Ms to see if I'd be allowed to. Otherwise, I'd simply check it visually and hope it's all good

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i seriously doubt you could get sick unless it was still wet from the last customer, most viruses and bacteria only survive half an hour outside the host, and thats in a warm, damp environment.

speaking as a tobacconist, however, i would headbutt the teeth out of any customer who stuck a pipe in their mouth then put it back on the rack.

... but very politely.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You should carry the slips so your customers can try them [ I used to get them from FGT ] and a mirror ... sounds gay but it's a good thing to have around .

13. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Just like at the shoe store, they have nylon sock-types that go on...(side note, my brouther was the manager at one and he said to get the ones that aren't stretched out; the ones that are? They are the used ones they found on the floor)

14. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'm sure my local B&M wouldn't appreciate me sucking on a pipe before I bought it either. I do have one pipe that I bought new several years ago, a Chacom Semi-churchwarden, that has a lousy draw. If I hadn't bought it out of town, I probably would have tried to take it back. I plan on sending it out to have a new bit made in the near future. I hardly smoke it the way it is.

15. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I think most health departments don't allow customers to try or return musical instruments played by mouth. I agree the risk of catching anything is minimal but you never know who has touched something. Of course, we wash our hands in the men's room in McDonald's and open the door by its grimy handle before we eat a sandwich without utensils.

I do all sorts of maneuvers with a new pipe in my hands to test its weight and balance and I do run a pipe cleaner through the stem to make sure it's possible. If I'm satisfied after what is usually weeks of daydreaming about the pipe (but not holding it every time I'm in the shop and making a pest of myself), I buy it. It isn't a jet engine. Whatever "character" the pipe may have, I usually adapt.

Cheers,
    WK

16. Ol Brokedik

Tried to Google it. All I could find was tips for Hookahs. To be honest, I'd never heard of these before today.

OBD.

17. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

If the bacteria in a sneeze can live for up to a week, then gob germs could probably go the distance too. Jeez, I sound like the Rainman...

Definitely Germs... Definitely Germs...

18. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I've used these before at my local in Phoenix.
    Now, I just buy from etailers, and trust they
    do a good job of sanitising any estates I am
    interested in.

dp

19. CBR

CBR Member

If these are like slip on covers then only the clench and balance can be tested right? I'd assume that the draw would be blocked by the plastic itself, right?

But I'm with you on etailers, I hope the draw is okay and just sterilize with alcohol before its first use.

20. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

As you know I've been buying pipes man and boy for hunerts o' years....but I've never stuck one in my mouth to check the draw or how it hangs. Being honest, I'd be appalled to think that anyone else had had a brand new pipe I was going to but in their mouth before me.

O.K I'm not a clencher and mainly buy Falcons or cobs and I know how they go, but even so...

Like the rest of you I buy estate pipes from time to time but before sticking them in my face I do disinfect and threat them first,

Best to all

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.