1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Do You Use Different Pipes For Latakia And Virginia Blends?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by pauljmjr, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

I've always only smoked Latakia (as well as English and Balkan blends) in certain pipes and smoked the rare aromatic in a seperate dedicated pipe. But I've only recently started sampling Virginias. Can I smoke the Virginias in the pipes that I use for the Latakia / English / Balkans? Or do I need a dedicated "Virginias" pipe? Thanks.

2. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

You can smoke whatever tobacco in whatever pipe ... but I have recently discovered that the straight Virginia blends just taste better in my new meerschaum pipe, whereas I just wasn't "getting" the flavor in briars or cobs and was thinking maybe Va's weren't for me. I don't know if it was the material that made the difference, or if was the new pipe idea.

3. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

I'm a firm believer in the "whatever works for you" philosophy, but I don't think that you'll get many folks here to agree that they smoke vastly different types of blends in the same pipe.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'd be surprised if
    this wasn't in the
    FAQ

5. Matt

Matt Member

Generally it's good to keep Lats in their own pipe, since latakia can easily influence the flavor of a pipe well after it's been used for it. But as long as you're prepared to taste latakia in the virginia blends, you'd be fine though.

Personally, I'd smoke the virginia blends in the aro pipe or a cob until I was sure that those blends would be a mainstay. Then I'd dedicate a pipe to non lat, non aro blends: Virginias, Virginia/Periques, Burley's, etc. or just keep using a cob for them.

6. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I think that you've hit the nail right on the head. Today, I tried a Virginia in my pipe dedicated to aromatics and it was much, much different (and much better) than when I smoked the same blend in several of the pipes that I have used exclusively for my Latakia / English / Balkans for years.

7. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

How much does a Perique or Burley ghost?

8. Morse

Morse Active Member

I don't smoke lats a lot but I use one pipe for them specifically because I find that I lats ghost a bit. Va's provide a much more subtle experience in terms of flavor, one that might well get lost in a pipe dedicated to lats, or one in which lats are primarily smoked. My advice if you can is dedicate a pipe to Vas it would be a good idea.

9. Alan Dye

Alan Dye Member

A long time ago I arbitrarily picked rusticated pipes for latakia/oriental and smooth for virginias/vapers. I keep a few pipes around for aromatics too, usually cobs. I didn't want virginias polluting the nuances of Penzance...;) I still have them sorted that way. If you see me with a pipe, you can usually sift out what I'm smoking by looking at the pipe.

Dondi and dwaugh like this.
  10. Iain

Iain Active Member

I'm the same, I have one Lat pipe (well it's a Falcon bowl actually) and I'll occasionally smoke a Lat in one of my meers then clean it out real good afterwards. I wouldn't smoke a Va in a pipe that'd had a Lat blend in it, the flavour would just get lost, that is unless you like a Va with just a hint of Lat flavour...

11. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Sounds like a good system. 85% of my pipes are for Latakias, one for Erinmore, and the rest are for burleys and VA's, Oh, and a pipe for the odd aromatic. Most of my pipes are smooth though, but your system would help me remember, I sometimes forget which pipes are for what. Usually a sniff gives it away.

Yea, so basically I have lat and non-lat pipes (my wife would say I have burnt rubber pipes and non-burnt rubber pipes).

I don't really worry too much about it all though...

Dondi and Alan Dye like this.
  12. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

For me I have pipes dedicated for Latakia, or English blends, other pipes for Virginias, or Virginia/Perique type tobaccos(vapors)-and also Burley, and pipes I will smoke mild to heavier aromatics in. I find that a heavier Latakia blends tend to ghost a briar--after a few bowls of other stuff it does seem to go away, but I try to dedicate pipes. NOW----this is NOT some carved in stone rule that pipe smokers must follow. Its a personal preference thing. As was said above--for me if I smoke a pipe that I have smoked Latakia blends in for a long while--the ghost can be a little tough to get rid of. If I would put lets say--a Virginia tobacco in that pipe---the other flavors of the Virginias would simply just get lost, and kinda over ruled by the Latakia. SO-----its all up to the individual as to whether they want to dedicate pipes to certain stuff.

13. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

I have briars dedicated to specific flavors of aromatics: chocolate, caramel, maple, vanilla, and coffee (so far). I have one dedicated to deer-tongue blends. I tend to smoke my burley blends in cobs. Other than that, the rest of the pipes tend to be "anything goes!" although that usually means a lat blend where the lat is more "seasoning" than the main focus.

dwaugh likes this.
  14. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Also in pipes that I have experimented with those heavy aromatics--the ones that have VERY sweet notes--an example is some of the seasonal Peterson blends--the berry notes, and sweetness will stick with the pipe for a spell. If I put just plain old Virginias in them---well it took a couple of bowls before those sweet berry notes were totally gone. I have a local shop that has wonderful house blends--some are mild to heavier aros---I notice if I take a pipe that I smoked these in--even one bowl---then load up a pure Virginia--Like McCranies Red Ribbon, or Boswells Dans blend(Ribbon cut golden Virg.)---well that sweet old ghost takes afew bowls to get rid of it---it kinda does the same thing Latakia does--it overpowers, and sorta wipes out the wonderful natural notes, and undertones of the Virginias. Thats why I decided to dedicate pipes. I enjoy ALL sorts of tobaccos, and didn't want to have to keep smoking through the aro, or Lat ghosts until I got real enjoyment from each type of tobacco. So for me on a personal preference kinda thing--I dedicate pipes---it doesn't mean my way is the correct, or only way---to each their own. And by the way pauljmjr----enjoy the pipe smoking experience.

15. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Thanks Russell. Believe it or not I've smoked pipes on and off for 40 years and I've almost never smoked straight Virginias until now. I love my Lats, but I'm branching out a bit these days. I am definitely enjoying it -- and isn't that the main purpose of our "hobby?" :)

Dondi likes this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I do dedicate pipes. I learned that here, actually. Certain pipes bring out the best in certain blends. The fun, or challenge I should say, is determining which pipes perform the best with your choice or favorite tobaccos.

Whenever I try a blend for the first time, I always smoke it from a Clay. I read an article last year in praise of Clays and the pure delivery of flavor they provide. I happen to agree with this. And I have yet to ghost a Clay.

I dedicate a few pipes to Lakeland blends. I usually only smoke blends like Penzance, or Firedance, exclusively in Meers and select briars.

The same with Cobs. CH, STM, and other Burey, Turkish, or Latakia blends I find work incredibly well in corn cobs.

I gues you can keep it as simple and basic as you like. But wheres the fun in that? Lol

17. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

My experience has been the opposite. My go to tobacco is P.S. LNF . I also smoke OGS, Old Gowrie, HOTW and a few other va/vapers. To me, these smoke best in cobs and my recently acquired GBD and not as well in the 3 or 4 meers I've owned. SWR, Carter Hall and Balkans taste just fine in my one remaining meer (an Altinok 103) but I've only smoked a few bowls of those tobaccos in it for fear of ghosting it as I may be selling it down the road and I don't think ghosting with va/vapers is as much of a problem as it is with Lat blends.

18. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

I stare a my pipes and pick the one that speaks.
    I peruse the open tins and jars and select.
    Certain blends seem to work better in certain shaped pipes.
    That is my only criteria.

krusty likes this.
  19. mattia76

mattia76 Member

I have 3 pipes dedicated to latakia blends and the rest rotate between Virginia and VaPer blends. Occasionally, when I'm feeling sassy, I'll throw a Vaper in one of the Lat pipes and take a walk on the wild side.

ajvan and Dondi like this.
  20. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Regardless of genre of tobacco, most of what I smoke is quite stout, so I'm not terribly concerned about missing nuances. If I smoked more bright Virginias, I would keep a pipe for them, same goes for light Oriental blends.
    As it is, I don't think anything of smoking Astley's 44, Rich Dark Flake and Pirate Kake in the same pipe. Picking up the figs from the 44, the deep sweet tang of the RDF and mixing it with the flat dry Latakia of the Pirate Kake is a taste I enjoy.
    My only quirks are enjoying Mick McQuaid Plug in a Doug Erwin cob, and I don't believe I'll ever smoke anything but Dark Flake Unscented in the Pipe Dan that Waino sent me.

FlatbushPaul and Dondi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.