1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Use Different Pipes For Latakia And Virginia Blends?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by pauljmjr, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    Different classifications of tobacco go in different pipes for me. Plus it gives me a reason to buy more pipes :byg:
    JimInks, Dondi, krusty and 1 other person like this.
  2. Matt

Matt Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I don't think I've ever experienced a Burley ghost, and in fact I think that's why it's suggested for breaking in a new pipe.

I have had whispers of Perique before, but nothing that really took away from what I was smoking - really more of a true ghost than what Latakia can do, which can be more like becoming a part of the blend. If you really want just the unadulterated flavor of the tobacco from a complex VA blend, best to just use a meer or cob (though I think cobs also add their own unique flavor to anything smoked out of them).
  3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Jun 5, 2010
    As I smoke mostly Va's, VaPer's and Burley blends I keep a bunch of pipes for just them. I have several Pots and Dublins with tapered bowls for latakia blends. I think I read somewhere that these type bowls are best for Latakia blends. I have 1 Meer for Va's. 1 Meer for Lakeland blends & 1 Meer for English/Balkan blends. I will run the gamut in the cobs. The huge MM Freehand is for everything!
    I do keep a couple of Kaywoodie pipes for OTC's like ERR, PA & CH. It just seems right to smoke them in a vintage Kaywoodie from the '30's or 40's.
    jpberg likes this.
  4. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I have two black pipes. A Sav and a Ebony Pete System that are dedicated to Lat blends. It made sense because of the colors.

I have a Pete Aran 80 dedicated to Lakelands now. I figured the tobacco comes from the great island, so the pipe should too.

My tinsky is dedicated to McClelland Virginias just because that pipe is so "American" to me that I had to.

I have been smoking everything in my Meer.

My other four or five pipes smoke anything else and get rotated freely.
  5. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I'm not a big smoker of English and Lat I'm general, but I do enjoy from time to time. I've decided to reserve a few English pipes for them - a Dunhill and a Ferndown.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.