1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Do you worry about marks on your vulcanite stem ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WrightwoodJohn, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I found some posts on peoples preferance for vulcanite (or not) compared with lucite, but the question I have for you is, do you worry about teeth marks on a vulcanite stem that's attached to let's say a Dunhill or other quality pipe. Is it a concern, or is your attitude "the pipe is for smoking regardless of what I paid, I'm not going to worry about teeth marks and enjoy my pipe.."?

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Not as a rule. If you are worried about a pipe you have intentions on keeping nice or selling at a latter date. You can use softy bits or shrink tubing in the mouthpiece.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You can always get another stem :th1:

4. WrightwoodJohn

I like the feel of the vulcanite, don't like the idea of rubber bits or shrink wrap. And have thought about replacement stems should one get to that point. I lean towards not worrying too much about it because I want the full enjoyment without the concern, but sometimes you look at the stem and hmmmm....

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah , watching something wear down is a drag . It's just the way it goes . I mean , you could get lucite or the like , and it's alot harder feeling . But I hear ya ... the " give " of Vulcanite is my first choice . I have two pipes w/ lucite ... the other 40 are Vulcanite . I have another box of at least 20 that I dont count as having ... they all need stems cause I chewed , cracked , smashed , dropped or sat on it . One day I'll send them all out and it will feel like I have a new collection .

shadow likes this.
  6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I'm toothy, and a clencher, and I try not to worry about it too much. I am obviously more conscious of it when I'm smoking an irreplaceable (*for my budget) pipe, but I'm a pipe-smoker first, a pipe collector by association (or so I tell myself when I notice a new tooth mark).

7. Morse

Morse Active Member

All of my pipes have teeth marks on the stems - initially I was concerned about it but I figure I bought them to smoke and until all my teeth fall out it's a problem thats not going away ;)

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  8. WrightwoodJohn

Ya my lucites I won't hesitate to clench (although I clench infrequently), but when I go to clench a vulcanite there is that slight hesitation..

9. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

When i spend $100.00 + on a pipe, I'm .guesings i'll worry about clenching. But since all my pipes are under $100.00 i'm just smoking them as i please. For me pipes are for smoking and enjoying, They shouldn't ever own you in my book But lets see what i say in a few months when i add to my colection..(LOL)

10. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

More pipes is the answer. Spread those teeth marks out among more pipes.
    More pipes is always the answer.:csmile:

shadow, jdto and Spillproof like this.
  11. Hudson

Hudson Member

I think Smokey Joe is on to something. I don't worry about it but I don't chew on it either.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I use softie bits on my Lucite stems for comfort and control, I avoid Vulcanite stems altogether.

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I use softie bits, but to answer your question, no, I wouldn't worry in the least.

14. WrightwoodJohn

Some good responses here! But I think I need to be more specific. Would you worry about marks on the stem of a $200+ Dunhill?

15. Marker

Marker Active Member

I consider the teeth marks a branding of ownership. The Savinelli that I just got last night from Spillproof already has my logo on it. A few scrapes just means I like it.

Spillproof likes this.
  16. Spillproof

John, I've never owned a Dunhill that didn't come with teeth marks. Are you saying that when you buy them new they have never been clenched? Hmmmm. I'll have to look into that...

17. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

To answer your question, No, teeth chatter on my stem regardless of pipe pedigree would not be a concern for me.

18. WrightwoodJohn

Spill, the two I own are estates (1969 & 1977), however the 77' is excellent and the 69' mint. I've been smoking them regularly for the past couple of months, absolutely love these two. As time goes, they of course will be showing their wear...

19. Spillproof

I understand John, I really do. My favorite Dunhill is also quite old. The bit has marks (some mine, some from the original owner), is a little thin from past bufffs/resto's, and the body of the pipe has been knocked around a bit. But, you know how it smokes Penzance ;-)

20. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I find heat shrink wrap comfortable but I'm not a big fan of the rubber bits (I have a couple, but I'm not sure if I'll keep using them). That said, on my nicest (to date) pipe, a LE Tinsky, the stem is so comfortable that I don't use it. As for teeth marks, I figure they will happen, or not happen, with time, so I'm not going to worry about them overmuch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.