1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Do you worry about marks on your vulcanite stem ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WrightwoodJohn, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

that's the mindset I need. The pipe is to be smoked/enjoyed regardless..

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I actually do concern myself with this problem with my nicer, more expensive pipes. I use softey tips on them to avoid tooth marks and pitting. On my other pipes, especially cobs, I don't worry as much because the stems are inexpensive and easily replaced. If I find my standard skoking briars are getting or have been maked up, I'll buff or sand them to remove the damage.

3. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I don't worry too much about regular use on my pipes. I also don't chew on my stems. Any scratching or minor marks on my stems come out in about 5 minutes with micromesh pads.

4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I don't get overly obsessed about it, but I've always found it's better to take good care of one's toys.

5. WrightwoodJohn

What are said micromesh pads?

6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Basically very expensive fine grit sandpapers with a foam or cloth backing. They are very good for restoring pipe stems.

Mington likes this.
  7. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Well not too expensive really, a little more than $20 after shipping from Amazon. For the few restorations on estates and the touch ups I've used them for, I consider them well worth the investment. With care, they should last you for a good long while.

8. WrightwoodJohn

thanks, I've got some ultra/ultra (stage 4 in a 1-4 process) grit sandpaper to experiment on a less valuable stem...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.