1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Doc G Freehand

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Nuck81, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

So I've been smoking pretty much nothing but cobs for the last two years. I have a few briars, but I don't smoke them quite as much.

Got a hair up my ass about two weeks ago and bought two Grabows, an Omega, and Freehand.

The Omega is a god send. Flat out quickly become one of my best and favorite pipes.

The Freehand is also a great smoke except for one problem, it smokes insanely hot. Not the smoke, the smoke is nice and cool all through the bowl, but it's the outside. The second I light it up, it's pretty warm, and after just a few minutes it is too hot to hold by anything but the shank. I'm sure it is not me, as I have never had this problem before with any pipe I've had, and the Omega stays so cool, I dip it in my tea to keep the ice from melting. At first I thought it was that it was a new pipe and just needed a little break in, But it's been over a week now, and the pipe hasn't begun to cool down.

So my question is, is this common for the Grabow Freehand, or is there something I can do different?

2. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I had Freehand some time ago, but I never found that it got any hotter than my other pipes, maybe the briar is somehow flawed? But even then I don't really know how that would make it smoke intensly hot... the only experience I have had with a pipe getting that hot was with a brylon yello-bole.

3. woody

woody Admin Admin

When I first got my Freehand it smoked wet. It damn near dripped where the stem and stummel meet. After it got smoked in, it's a nice smoking pipe.

4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I had one for a while. It did smoke pretty hot, but I fixed it by trading it in the Box Pass for a Rewster modded cob. I'm pleased with the results.

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I think that some pipes just smoke hotter than others, sadly. It could be some property of the briar itself, and no two pipes are alike. For example, I have two Peterson's that are super similar, same finish, shape, etc, nearly identical, and one smokes ridiculously hotter than the other. Oh well!

Spillproof likes this.
  6. woody

woody Admin Admin

LOL @ Johnny Dingo
    I've had a few pipes that smoked hot as a furnace until they got smoked in, new and estate, and now they smoke fine. I've only had 1 that didn't straighten up. It was an old Wally Frank. I eventually destroyed it during one of my mad doctor pipe experiments.

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Does the freehand have a larger sort of cone-shaped bowl? You might try a trick that Shadow taught me a while back- Just light the middle of the tobacco, don't light around the edges. Then, once it's going, whenever you need to tamp just tamp gently around the edges to make a little dome shape in the bowl. I did this with a pipe that got hot walls and it worked like a dream.
    PS- is Shadow still around?? I don't remember seeing him in a while.

8. jbennin314

jbennin314 Member

IF it is a Dr Grabow pipe you purchased. Then they all smoke hot. The outside is painted with varnish and it will trap the heat.
    JIm

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

They may smoke hot for you but don't blame that on the pipe! I've been smoking Dr. Grabow pipes for well over a decade now and they smoke as well as any other pipe I own, as many will attest to in this forum.

Coda likes this.
  10. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Yeah, a lot of guys swear by their Grabow's! Like I said, every pipe is individual, some smoke hotter than others.

Coda likes this.
  11. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

The other Grabow I have doesn't smoke hot at all.

I guess I just have a hot pipe, but I will try a few of the tricks mentioned here.

Thanks again PSF!!

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

He stated "they all smoke hot" and that is not true.

13. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Exactly! I was agreeing with you!

cobbsmoker likes this.
  14. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:doh:

Vaquero likes this.
  15. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

It's all good, jbennin's post was just generalizing all Dr. Grabow's as hot, which I disagree with. Those kind of generalizations start wars... much like the ongoing "Cob Wars" which many have participated in w/ the whole cob/briar rivalry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.