1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Does all virginia tobacco taste the same?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JoeSmall, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

So I saw someone say VA tobacco tasted piquant ( piquant - having an agreeably pungent taste
    spicy, zesty, savory, savoury
    tasty - pleasing to the sense of taste; "a tasty morsel"), I had to look it up. I'm asking cause when I smoke anything with that taste I seem to get bit. Is there some trick to not getting bit or something? I feel like I'm going slow and I don't get bit with the cb gold (Cavendish I think) or the English or the burley I try.

Thanks
    Joshiah

p120d16y likes this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Some Virginias , like every other style of tobacco , can be bitey . It's a matter of trying some and seeing which ones are good for you . I would recommend OGS or Dunhill Flake .. I just cant see them biting

Tsal, Mington, Eric Pierson and 2 others like this.
  3. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

I don't think all VAs taste the same for a few reasons:

How the leaf is cured/pressed

Where the leaf is grown

What is added to the mix ( ex. Perique, white burley etc. etc,)

Pick up a tin of GLP's Union Square and SGs Full Virginia flake, and you'll see what I mean.

All tobacco has the potential to bite imo, sometimes the sweeter ones get me though. Maybe try a more bare bones VA like Union Square?
    Who knows, maybe VAs aren't your thing!

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

McClelland #5100 "Red Cake" would be a good place to start for a Virginia tobacco, it's light, sweet, mild and very user friendly.

p120d16y, Mington, jdto and 7 others like this.
  5. User4408

User4408 Active Member

On average, Virginia has less nicotine than burley. So there's a tendency to puff harder on Virginia in search of the hit. It takes discipline to resist that urge at the beginning, until you develop the habit of sipping the tobacco using a sort of gentle bellows puffing. That way, you let the flavor come to you rather than chasing after it. And when the flavor does finally arrive, it's delicious! Much more of a palate pleaser than burley.

The trick with Virginia is: never puff hard. Even when lighting up.

And not all Virginia tobaccos taste the same. The stronger ones are much cooler and have an added dimension of nuttiness similar to burley, but smooth like buttered toast. And they can contain up to 8.5% nicotine, whereas a strong burley has only 5%.

Morse, p120d16y, Stonewall and 4 others like this.
  6. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

What would you recommend for a similarly sweet VA, but of medium flavor and nic strength?

JoeSmall likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

McClelland Brindle Flake.

p120d16y, Mington, PipeSimmo and 3 others like this.
  8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

GH also has some
    phenomenal Virginia
    blends. Never experienced
    any bite with these, and
    I smoke them all the time.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Bingo. Virginia leaf comes in lemon, orange and red. There's also lemon-orange and orange-red. But not even all reds or all lemons taste the same. It depends on how the tobacco is cured and processed. Reds (and oranges and lemons) share common characteristics but certainly do not taste the same.

Morse, p120d16y, Stonewall and 4 others like this.
  10. oldworldpipes

oldworldpipes Member

I would try some Red Cake as mentioned above. Mclelland's 5100 Red Cake. I could not get this straight virginia to bite if I tried. It is not an "in your face" flavor but it has this subtle sweetness that is outstanding. Smells like ketchup though.

Morse, p120d16y, Mington and 2 others like this.
  11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Virginias have a different taste according to which side of the Atlantic ocean they are bought. In US a lot of VA is flavoured with barbecue sauce, whereas in the UK it is flavoured with soap and flowers...(apparantly):ohyh:
    OT

Morse, James1956, p120d16y and 8 others like this.
  12. Tate

Tate Member

I never thought of it that way... But you know, thats about the long and short of it. The US sauces it and the UK washes it.

p120d16y, ruffinogold, YAPPG and 3 others like this.
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I would go with Dunhill Flake as a good intro into Virginia's. I myself cannot smoke blends with much if any Red Virginia's as they bite the crap out of me. I have a body chemistry issue with those and while I did love the flavors, the pain was not worth it. I smoke Va, Vaper and Vabur flakes exclusively and have 25 different blends in my rotation that are all no bite.

Morse, p120d16y, JoeSmall and 3 others like this.
  14. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

If bite's a concern, then you might want to avoid MacBaren Va #1. It has a pleasant, sweet flavor, but it can come at you like an irritated rattlesnake.

Morse, p120d16y and JoeSmall like this.
  15. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

There's a scene in the movie Gettysburg where General Longstreet remarks about Virginia tobacco being the finest in the land. As a relatively palate deprived pipesmoker delving into experimental search mode, I will try these suggestions as well. As will I be sipping better!
    Thanks!

Morse, p120d16y, JoeSmall and 2 others like this.
  16. TWolf

TWolf Member

Yeah but ketchup or vinegar based? Kansas City, Carolina, Texas...? :)

p120d16y, RTOdhner and JoeSmall like this.
  17. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

With or without floral soap?:byg:

Morse, p120d16y and JoeSmall like this.
  18. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

both. :ohyh:

19. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

I don't like Virginia,some times is like haystack with onion sometimes like fresh cut grass.No matter how i have tried in bent-straight briar-meer-gourd-cob-oak pipe never worked well. Some young "experts" here in Greek pipe forum say: "you MUST smoke virginia ONLY in a straight No filter pipe".
    Did anybody read that in a pipe manufacturer page? Did any pipe maker suggest that below a picture of his product? Who invented that theory? Where are the evidence to support that?

p120d16y, JoeSmall and User4408 like this.
  20. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Also here in America we have all sorts of people saying you MUST do all sorts of things. Usually they're trying to sell something. Or set themselves up as authorities so that they can sell something to you later. Our usual defense is to just ignore them, which might serve well in your case too. Unless a person provides sound reasons for their advice, there's little motivation to pay attention to them.

I've known people who smoked nothing but burley all their life. In the US alone there have probably been millions of them. And they seemed to do just fine. It's difficult to understand where this MUST comes from.

I happen to like Virginias, and they build a fantastic hard cake which is flavor neutral. But even a cake is optional when it comes to pipe smoking. Lots of smokers now go without them. So it's impossible to see why Virginia tobacco would ever be a MUST.

Morse, p120d16y, RTOdhner and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.