1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Does an original stem make that much of a difference?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruralhipster, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I was watching this auction on eBay since I was curious how much value people place on original stems on estate pipes.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BEAUTIFUL-CA...901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc9509ba5

It seems to me that while an original stem is integral to the collectibilty of an estate pipe, at less than 70 bucks someone probably has a hell of a smoker for not much money.

Had I known this was going to go this low I might of thrown in a 75 or 80 dollar bid, I just assumed it would have crept out of my price range.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I was watching that one, waiting for the price to jack at the end, guess it didn't.

To answer your question, to Castello guys, it makes a difference, but to you and I that's a hell of a deal. I bought a Radice billiard with a cheap stem and had Tinsky cut a new stem for me, it works for me.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Dang man! Yeah, even if the replacement stem wasn't a good one you could just get a better one made for it I'd think :confused:

4. furious

furious Junque collector

Yeah I was watching that one but didn't place a bid. Someone got a sweet deal!

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I just got a Stanwell estate with a broken stem for 20 bucks, and I think it's a hell of a deal. Sure, it needs a new stem made and also a good ream and clean, but for 30 or 40 bucks I can get that done (planning on upgrading IMO from vulcanite to acrylic) and it's still going to come out total around 70 bucks or less. I don't think it's that big of a deal, unless you are a serious collector. My pipes are for smokin! By the way, there are plenty of good pipe repairmen out there.

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I don't buy a pipe because it's a collectable. I clench every pipe I smoke so I'm looking for a durable pipe stem. Vulcanite stems get dull and can develop a taste on there own (mea culpa). I've noticed a lot of freehands have stems made of a very cheap material. I don't know what it is, but I've bitten a hole in each of the two I have. I have one of those being fitted with a new, bullet proof acrylic. I'll put a plan together for getting the other stem replaced.

Original stems don't mean anything to me. I want a pipe stem as tough as me. That calls for bullet proof acrylic.

Ol Brokedik.

p.s. That acrylic isn't really bullet proof, but it's harder than a $40 jawbreaker.

Vaquero likes this.
  7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

AMEN!

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  8. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I guess I am a purist in that I would not buy a pipe that has a replacement stem. Period.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

...that pipe was ugly anyway.

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Not being a collector I wouldn't care about a replacement stem.

Personally I prefer Vulcanite. At my age it is going to last longer than me. :)

11. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

great repiles here. myself i like original replacement stems. i have tim west do my stem work. i refurb chartan pipes and i like to keep them as original as possible. it is for me only, i do not resale my refurbs. tim has stamps for charatan pipes. i understand some guys do not care about that type replacment, that is cool with me. iam alittle anal about my stems.

mike.

12. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

I buy pipes to smoke them, but original stems and crisp nomenclature are important to me. I wouldn't buy a pipe with a replacement tenon much less a replacement stem. But to each his own.

13. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Doesn't make a difference to me. A couple of my pipes are estates with replacement stems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.