1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Does anybody have experiance with Johs pipes ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by christopher, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Member

I was looking on smokingpipes.com and saw Johs pipes, beautiful and in my price range. From what I understand Johs was the head carver for Bjarne pipes. I was just wandering if they smoke well or if there is any quality isues with them before I pick one up. All advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

For the price I'd recommend a Stanwell or Peterson instead.

3. telltime

telltime Active Member

Not sure what you are basing this on... I don't have experience with Johs, but if you do and didn't like them, maybe it would help the poster to tell them why you prefer Stanwell or Peterson instead of Johs.

Peterson is a great pipe company. I have more than one and would agree in recommending them. But even then there are other pipes in their price range I might choose over them.

To the OP - I assume you already have more than one pipe and this won't be your only smoker. Pipes over the net, in my opinion, come with a certain amount of risk. I think most any pipe from a reputable dealer will be a good smoker, but you won't get to experience the "feel" of the pipe until you get it in your hands. Going on brand alone doesn't cut it for me.

In my personal experience, I've even held different pipes by the same maker in the same shape, and chosen one over another. It comes down to how it feels in my hand and the look of the grain.

Hope that makes sense. Hopefully someone can weigh in on Johs who's had experience with them. I went to the website and see why you like the looks of them!

4. christopher

christopher Member

I understand that stanwell and petersons are nice, but I was looking for a large freehand. I never had a freehand pipe before and its about time I tried one.

5. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I've been looking at those Johs pipes quite a bit, almost buying one at one point, and when I researched a bit it seems like they consistently get good reviews.

6. telltime

telltime Active Member

I just Googled: Johs pipe reviews. Clicked on a couple of links (they tended to be in other forums) and didn't see any bad about them. Several folks had very flattering reviews.

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

No experience with them here, but owning a Johs pipe is "on the list". I've heard nothing but good things from reading the reviews online, and while the designs of his big freehands seem hit or miss to me, it comes down to pure aesthetics instead of being an issue of design and engineering. I'd say it's worth the risk. Johs pipes are pretty reasonably priced.

8. pottsy

pottsy Member

Never heard of them. But for the price, they look pretty nice.

9. pottsy

pottsy Member

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Oh, that is a nice one.

11. erickghint

erickghint Member

Like most others, I haven't bought one yet. I've been eyeballing them for about 6 months now, and like with a lot of pipes the ones I like always get snagged before I can pull the trigger. I've heard some great things about them, and for the price I would say if you want a freehand you should go for it.

12. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

Ok looks like I'm gonna try one also, I've been looking for a Danish Freehand in the $100 range and a few of the Nordings I wanted because of the shape are sold.

13. christopher

christopher Member

thanks guys, once i get paid i'm gonna try one out. Thats a nice one pottsy, There are about 3 or 4 there i realy liked. That red stain is insane.

dbt13 likes this.
  14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Johs has worked for Bjarne for a long time, and simply took over after Bjarne died. Ted is right, less QC, fit and finish issues with Petes and Stannys.

15. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

I have been in awe of their large freehands as well, but I have yet to pull the trigger. I have yet to read a bad review, but the only way to really know is to try one out.

16. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

17. christopher

christopher Member

I smoke a dr grabo right now. A pot style. She smokes good, but I'm looking for a bigger pipe one thats hand made and shows it.

18. pottsy

pottsy Member

I'll pm you my address so you know where to ship it to. :cheers:

19. christopher

christopher Member

:roflmao:

20. christopher

christopher Member

It was a misty morning. I saw her siting there in the brush, nawlin some early mornin grass. I sighted down the barrel, took a deep breath, held it. I concentrated on the pressure of the trigger on my index finger, pulled the play out, squeezed that last 1/8 inch, and BANG. Its a hit I baged her.

Now all I have to do is wait. Also picked up some C&D billy bud, three fryers, and Mac B vinella flake. Thanks for all the advice, will post pics when the mail lady shows up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.