Does anybody LIKE Tawny Port form C&D?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SandSquid, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

Free to a good home,
    2oz tin ( probably 3Oz. cram packed in there ;-)
    I'll even pay postage.

I must have tried 2 dozen C&D blends and all have lived up to thier billing, but I must say Tawny Port is a real dud.

Upon opening the tin, I though: nice base tobacco, but I think they forgot to add the port or something. Puff after puff I kept thinking to myself "Wow, this is really lacking."

I though perhaps I just got a dud, and I specfically do not read the reviews on http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ for fear of them swaying my personal likes and dislikes,
    but it seems that the few reviews on , most other folks have felt the same way about Tawny Port.

Without passing along my impressions, I have given out smaples to most of my pipe frineds and aqauintences and even the hookah smokers, and nobody really digs it.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Judging from the lack of reviews on tr.com and the number of stars it got from the few reviews written, and the fact that I've never known anyone that has ever smoked it, I'd say no.

This may or may not work for you, but my experience is that if I particularly like a non-tobacco taste (as you said you liked port wine), I absolutely loathe that taste in pipe tobacco. I love cherries to death but I sure don't want 'em in my pipe bowl. Ditto peaches and most any other fruit. I like port wine as well but it takes a military man's guts to try it in a pipe. :D

3. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

I'll go out on a limb here and say yes I'll take it! :)

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's the spirit, Jomo! Try it for yourself, you never know what you might like otherwise.

5. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

PM me your mailing address...

6. BriarAnnie

BriarAnnie Member

I was working my way to the C&D aromatics....ive just tried the tin stuff so far (purple cow, etc..). What was the best aromatic youve had from them?? I was eyeing their dark chocolate
    :-p

7. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

I just popped open the tin of Dark Chocolate Cavendish last evening for our "tobacco club" meeting, and it was very nice, enjoyed by most everyone.
    One of the Hookah ( aka Shisha (شيشة) or Nargeela (نرجيلة) or Argeela (أركيلة\أرجيلة) smokers even took a wad of it for his smoking pleasure.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Annie, if you're lookin' for a good chocolate

Two Friends (C&D/GLP) "English Chocolate". I'd say is the best choc-aro I've ever smoked. Then there's Gawith & Hogarth's "Bob's Chocolate Flake which I'm having a tough time deciding which to smoke when I want chocolate in my bowl. Both wonderfully rich and choco-full of smokin' goodness.

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

BOY! That'll teach me to post from my phone! Sorry for the trample on the TP thread Sand-dude! Many tobaccos I've smoked didn't really "hit" me until the 3rd or 4th bowl and some have become favs but if it doesn't "hit" me after several bowls, several different pipes (briar, meer, & cob, "Puff's Gauntlet"), and several methods of prep, then it goes to jar and stays there until I get hankerin' for it. In your case, over in the sandbox, you're limited as to what you can have with you much more than if you were at home (USA) so I'm not gonna recommend jarrin' it up and saving it for later. Maybe this Tawny Port by C&D smokes real well while sippin' some Tawny Port along side? Who knows?

Tony, I know you can order from etailers who support APO/FPO mailorders, but if there is anything you need over there that you can't get, lemme know, I'll see what I can do. This coming from a retired USAF airman (21yrs) and am always willing to help out a soldier away from home.

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.