Does anybody still like Captain Black?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Unforgivin, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I haven't heard much good about it but recently tried some CB Gold and was surprised. It isn't that it's great or anything but I guess what I'd heard had gotten my senses prepared for dried goat **** in a pouch.

Am I alone on this? :cheers:

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Could be. :cheers:

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Gee, thanks for the support. :0laugh:

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Anyone have a brick I could borrow?

5. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Will this one work?

[​IMG]

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'll repeat my standard description of CB: sickly sweet in the pouch, tasteless in the mouth, and goopy in the pipe.

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Damn....Tough crowd! :velho:

8. Barako

Barako Member

It's the most tolerable of the OTC brands available here in my country(others are half and half, borkum riff, golden blends and mixture 79) and it serves as a stopgap when I run out of my regular fare(which I have to order from friends abroad) but otherwise it's still mediocre at best. :velho:

9. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I've honestly never tried it, mainly because of the opinion presented here. So I don't know if it's something I'd enjoy or just pawn off on someone else. But some people have to tolerate or even like it, otherwise they wouldn't be selling it. At least, that's what I think.

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I only smoke CBW occaisionally and I have a pack of CB Gold in the cellar. While not an outstanding tobacco, CBW is easy to smoke and sometimes I have a taste for the slightly "marshmallowy" flavor. I think of it as a poor-man's version of Lane BCA.

You're not alone, Mike. There's good things about the Cap'n which explain why it's such a best-seller.

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Rugs, I need another brick. Write "Bri2k" on this one.

12. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I think they're banking on the ignorance of your average novice and the relative unavailability of better tobaccos.

13. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

To Bri2K, luv JPBERG & RUGS

[​IMG]

:velho:

14. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Hell, you just like it because you are a pirate. :wink:

15. angrytruckingguy

angrytruckingguy Member

I'll take my lumps too. Kinda caramel and not unpleasant. Hey, a lotta people drink light beer, that I refuse.

16. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

In my limited experience I went through a short spell of about a week where I wanted nothing besides CBW. Then another package arrived in the mail and I lost interest in the CBW for a while. I still smoke it occasionally but not every day. IMHO it's not terrible, and doesn't deserve the disparaging reputation that some would give it. It's an easy to obtain and fairly reliable smoke, even if it's not in my daily rotation of tobacco.

ok ready to duck bricks...... :xd:

17. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I've had it only once because a pouch here is about double the money they get for same size pouch of PA or CH, and I really don't think it's worth it.

It was OK, but they'd have to lower the price before I'd buy anymore or add it into any type of rotation.

Sooooo Rugs and JPberg....can my soul be saved? :xd:

18. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Well, if you climb out from under this pile of bricks there might be a chance...oh and your penance will include buying both me and jpberg an 8 oz. bag of stonehaven each :xd:

[​IMG]

19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

what have you done to my friend Ben Grimm?! [​IMG]

20. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I tried Capt. Black years ago when I wanted to start pipe smoking. It didn't leave a good impression. It is, however, the tobacco I associate with pipe smoking. When I was a kid, one of the neighborhood guys who was from Scotland smoked it at youth soccer games and everyone always enjoyed the smell. That memory stuck with me. The soccer mothers would thank him for smoking it while he coached from the sidelines. He was European so it was all very exotic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.