Does anyone else like a warmer smoke?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by troyn60, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troyn60

troyn60 Member

I see the words "cool smoke" a lot around here, but I like the warmth of pipe smoking. I want the smoke to be good and warm when it gets to my mouth and when I blow it out of my nose. Obviously, I don't want my pipe to burn up, though. Anyone else like a warmer smoke?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I get what youre saying . To me , Middletons Cherry Blend is like that . It's not hot and dosent bite bad , it's just got a warm smoke to it which I enjoy .I've had some blends that are so cool and mello that I got bored to tears . It's all good ... depends on mood :)

3. David L

David L Member

Yeah sometimes....it depends on what I'm smoking. I like aromatics to be warm if they aren't the goopy type. But that's just me......

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I think Ruffin's nailed it - it depends on the mood. Soemetimes too it depends for me on the seasons or what I'm drinking - if I'm outddors on a snowy or frosty day with some robust Britsh Flake I will take it harder and smoke it warmer and ditto if I've one of my favourite aromatics loaded for an after dinner smoke with a glass of red wine!

I suspect though we use the term cool smoke to distinguish it form a "tongue burner" when describing tobacco,

Happy smoking cool or warm!

Gerry

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

What I mean when I say a blend smokes "cool" is that it doesn't get the pipe so hot I can't hold it and it doesn't blister the varnish of the pipe from excessive heat. I suppose someone who smokes a church warden would have a different idea about what the term means.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've always taken hot or cool to be the smoke itself .. I think some pipes get warmer than others but it dosent mean the smoke is hot ... the heat has got to go somewhere . I like the way clays smoke but I woulnt hold the bowl ya know . My new favorite pipe is a Hilson Meer lined chimney . Theres hardly any wood around the meeer and the bowl gets pretty freakin hot but the smoke is heavenly . :innocent:

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Bingo. Smoke, being a natural byproduct of fire, is not going to be exactly cool. But stoked properly, it won't be scalding, either. Nice and warm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.