does anyone remember.....

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by ranger magnum, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranger magnum

ranger magnum Member

Many years ago, on the top floor of the Holiday Inn in downtown San Francisco, there was a smoking lounge. What made it so unique, is that it had a replica of Sherlock Holmes' 221B Baker Street office. This lounge also catered to pipe smokers, even going so far as to offer private lockers for regulars to store their pipes, tobacco and other items.

I havent been there since 1992, and was wondering if anyone else has. I suspect it is long gone by now, in wake of California's anti smoking law, but maybe not. I fondly recall a late night evening, sipping some Frangelico, smoking a beautiful Calabash (bought specifically for that trip), looking out over the city, and thinking all was right in my world...

dBear and Jazzzzzzz1 like this.
  2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

That sounds like it would be worth a trip out there just to see it, but unfortunately I'm guessing you're right about it being gone due to Cali smoking laws.

3. ranger magnum

ranger magnum Member

Well I spent some time on the interwebs, and it appears that it is no longer a Holiday Inn, and in all likelyhood the lounge is no longer. It was prime real estate being 30 floors up, so my guess is its a restaurant now. If I could remember the exact address, I could call whatever establishment now currently resides there, but since I am not sure of it, I will try Google street view and go from there.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Probably Greg Pease, or another of the old Druquer's guys would remember it.

5. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

Never been to that one but it sounds like it was cool. As far as I'm aware, all the smoking lounges here in Washington state went away with the passing of our no smoking laws. A real shame in my opinion. I'm not entirely unhappy about the loss of cigarette smoke filled restaurants but there's a huge difference between a smoke filled dive and a proper smoking lounge with good ventilation. I think the law should have made some allowance for the latter.
    Rodney

Preacher1611 and Basil Meadows like this.
  6. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

the anti smokers get what they want trampling private property rights to do it but they make sure they are alright, the only bar in the uk that can be smoked in is the Members bar in the house of commons.... it is written into the law, they refused the lords theirs though. Vat free booze and smokes and smoking in the bar while the peons are drowned by the tax and smoking in the wet....

7. Labman

Labman Member

That sounds really awesome! I would have loved to see that smoking lounge! There has to be pictures of it somewhere.

8. ranger magnum

ranger magnum Member

I have been looking for pictures, and cant find anything. It is such a bummer too, as the ambiance was nothing short of amazing. Especially at night. I'll keep trying to find something

Labman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.