Does Cornell & Diehl Make a Blend Similar to Frog Morton?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by pauljmjr, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

McClelland's Frog Morton blends are some of my favorites - especially the original and the new "Cellar" varieties. I've only tried a few C&D blends (and that was years ago) but I know that a lot of you think very highly of their blends. Does C&D make anything similar to Frog Morton? Thanks.

jason1977 likes this.
  2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Pirate Kake is worth a try if the mood should strike you. It's a bit different than Frog Morton but the Latakia they use is absolutely sublime. It smokes cool and dry with a rich smoky flavor. Chances are you'll like it.

Albert, Capt and AussieTX like this.
  3. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

Pirate Kake is a serious lat-bomb ... if you love lat-bombs then it's the bee's knees. Hubby thought he loved lat-bombs until he tried that one.

AussieTX likes this.
  4. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Thanks for the info, I'm going to need to add this to the TAD.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The only blend I know that is really anything like Frog Morton is "Chesdin" in the Benjamin Hartwell tobaccos (also a McClelland product, at the end of the day).

C/D Latakia mixtures that I have experienced (and that's probably a dozen of them) have been harsh, strong, sour, and bitter compared to Froggy, which is VERY sweet indeed. C/D makes "serious" tobacco.

Capt likes this.
  6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Depends how similar you want. Star of the East is a great Latakia/Virginia blend, but with no orientals (or whisky topping or chunk of oak).

Spillproof likes this.
  7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Frog is very sweet for sure, but for my tastes, I think that the harsh, strong, sour and bitter are not true in the case of Star of the East. Definitely a little more rugged than the McC blends for sure.

8. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Mississippi Mud is a bit fuller but has a little sweetness to it, closest one I can think of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.