Does freezing hurt tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by deker, Jan 11, 2010.

1. deker

deker New Member

I ask because I just realized I left my tin on HV out in the shop yesterday and it's awfully cold out there... :bing:

-d
  2. OldAtHeart

OldAtHeart Member

I've left tins or pouches in the car overnight before... only by accident, of course, and not recently.

It probably won't be the same, but I wouldn't say it's rendered unsmokable. I'd say it's dependent on what the tin's worth to you (what is the HV short for?). Give it a try and see how it goes. If it's worth keeping, then keep it; if not, then don't. Who knows, you may stumble on the latest and greatest smoking technique... the Frozen Gratification Method!

When I read the title to the thread, I thought someone wanted to freeze some on purpose... I originally popped in to make this face ":eek:".

Edit: it seems to me that the drier the tobacco was, the better it probably fared. A very moist tobacco, when frozen and thawed, would likely not be very good after.
  3. SBritton

SBritton Member

I would hope not. They ship it through the mail.
  4. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I did the same exact thing; I was keeping some pouches out in my toolbox in the (unheated) garage and we had a cold snap, like -30F. Anyway, I brought it in and let it come up to room temp and it seemed OK. It did seem a little drier, though, but still smokable.

I wouldn't recommend freezing it on purpose (although some people freeze cigs, but cigs are dumb anyway) but I also wouldn't throw anything out without trying it first. It's probably OK.
  5. Zanaspus

Zanaspus New Member

Cigar smokers often freeze cigars after purchase to kill tobacco beetle eggs. So, no.
  6. deker

deker New Member

Wow...that's just gross...

Well, I'll grab the tine from the shop later and see how it is.

-d

P.S. "HV" is Hamborger Veermaster"
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

It'll be fine. I couldn't find a tin of Luxury Blend for about 2 weeks, and then I finally found it out in the wife's truck. Left it there when we were on holiday. It sat at -20 for about a month, and it's fine.
  8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Member

Short term freezing not a problem. Longer term will completely dry out the tobacco, the oils are lost, and it is ruined. The tobacco beetle is pervasive in all pure tobacco. Pipe smokers don't have much trouble with them because very, very little pipe tobacco is pure unadulterated tobacco, and the beetle larvae will only eat pure tobacco. I have only had one outbreak of beetles in pipe tobacco, and that tobacco was from the only blender I know that actually uses pure tobacco in some blends. My fault, not theirs though, I stored it in temps too high, ie above 70 degrees.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

Agree - long term is bad.

Never heard of beetles. That's gross.... now I have to go look it up!
  10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Stay Calm - Press On Moderator

I sealed and vacuum packed some Mixture 79 and put it in the deep-freeze for a week and, man, it tasted just awful when it thawed out. Of course, it tasted awful before it was frozen, too. About identical I guess. Hope that helps with your question, Dekes.
  11. deker

deker New Member

For a minute I thought you were going to say that the mixture 79 was better after you froze it into submission :bing:

Thanks guys!

-d