Does your tobacco choice change with the seasons?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Capt, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt

Capt Active Member

Just curious if your choices change with the weather. I tend to smoke Va's and VaPer's almost year around, but mostly smoke Latakia blends in the fall and winter. Spring time brings out burley blends. There are aromatics that I only smoke certain times of year, like Town Topic in the winter, Melange in the summer, etc.

Lestrade likes this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Tobacco "types" aren't weather-driven but certain blends are. For example, I rarely smoke a heavy latakia blend outside in the dead of summer nor an aromatic in the winter. And specific blends, such as C&D Epiphany work best for me in warmer weather.

3. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I live in a city without seasons. I smoke pretty much the same thing year round.

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I have a man cave. I don't smoke outside so I'm not exposed to drastic temperature changes. I sit and puff at a comfortable 75 Degrees. I smoke everything I have year round.

Ol Brokedik.

5. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

I smoke everything year round, but I do lean to heavy Latakia blends during winter.

Mark w4mms and Lestrade like this.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Same here. :bing:

7. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I do, lately. Since I moved to Vegas 3 years ago, I've pretty much gone off Latakia mixes except in the brief "winter" period. For me, Latakia was made for gray, rainy days, and snowy nights--the times when the smell of woodsmoke cheers the heart. It doesn't work very well in the desert inferno of Las Vegas.

Capt likes this.
  8. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

My tastes didn't used to differ between the seasons. Usually Virginia and VaPer all year round with maybe a maple aro in there in the fall. However, this year I have jumped head first into Latakia blends and they seem to be taking over my fall/winter rotation.

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I lay in extra RRR and Blockade Runner, a C&D Plug, for winter binging.

10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Heavy Lat blends just seem unappealing somehow when it's 105* with 98% RH. I don't know why, but they seem almost oppressive or cloying or something. When it's really hot I tend to stick to lighter fare. This time of year, though, a nice full English seems particularly satisfying. Otherwise not too much difference for me, VAs/Burs/Pers/turks/etcs. work for me year round.

11. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Ditto.

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'm leaning more towards darker VAs and lat
    blends these autumn/winter days.

13. Iain

Iain Active Member

I'm beginning to start thinking about Lat blends now that the colder weather's here.

14. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

When you have ADD, seasons are really just a heartbeat away! :)

I'm still 'evolving' when it comes to seasonal preferences, but I am finding, personally, that temperature...weather...etc., actually doesn't influence me as much as I figured. So far, anyways. Winter is coming...again, so maybe i'll be eating words again, too. Until I change my mind, I'll state still that VA's are just as yummy in the cold as they are in the heat.

Jay and Mark w4mms like this.
  15. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

It's starting to heat up over here, I've been smoking aromatics and virginia for the last few days. Peterson's gold on a hot morning goes very well with coffee, enough nic to satisfy, but light enough to enjoy.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  16. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Must be nice, it's 33 here now, and dropping into the 20's by sunrise.

17. Beale

Beale Active Member

My taste seem to change daily! Beale.

Gary and Mington like this.
  18. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

To some extent: I smoke English/Orientals and Virginia/Va-Pers all the time, but trend more to the former in cold weather and the latter when it's warm. No burleys here and just the occasional aromatic.

19. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Same here...I smoke what I crave on that day. Woke up today and needed a Prince Albert fix. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Jussto, Mark w4mms and Beale like this.
  20. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I have noticed I enjoy my C&D Bowlegged Bear more now in the colder temps than I did in the warmer months. That smoky, nutty, peppery taste seems a little soothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.