Does zippo fluid expire?

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by Spaceboy Tim, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I recently bought an armor brass Zippo pipe lighter and found an old can of lighter fluid (red top). It's mostly full but I'm pretty sure I bought the can over 5 years ago. Does anyone know if it will still be good to use or should I just toss it?

I also bought a KGM Vector Thunderbird insert and I found out that it fits too snug on the armor Zippo so I put it into a different regular sized case. I didn't think it was worth making a new thread for that info but I think others should know since I wasn't informed when I bought it and want others to know in case they were thinking the same.
  2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Lighter fluid breaks down into nitroglycerin and a petroleum distillate pretty close in weight to kerosene. It gets pretty explosive, but luckily, the explosions don't usually ignite the kerosene unless there is an open flame nearby. This takes about 45 months.

It is fine. Use it.
  3. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

Don't know about the fluid going bad, but I do know it evaporates too fast from my lighter-like one week? I went with the Vector Thunderbird and filled it two MONTHS ago and it's still going strong. Maybe zippo should make some changes?
  4. user0003

user0003 Active Member

......heat tends to break down all lighter fluids and fuels. :doh:

:haha:
    Mister Moo, jhe888 and ruffinogold like this.
  5. Paul

Paul Member

vector inserts contain butane in a tank, while zippo fuel is held in fabric which goes to a wick, a lot of times zippos will dry out, from the fuel evaporating. This wont happen in a tank because its not open to the air
  6. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Evaporating naptha (which is what Zippo fluid is), is an inherent part of the design of a Zippo. The wick continuously draws fluid into it from which it evaporates. I suppose the design could be changed to try to seal the lid and reduce the evaporation, but it would greatly complicate the whole design.
  7. Paul

Paul Member

Keep in mind also, Zippos are designed for cigarette smokers, who will light up ~20 times a day (for a pack a day smoker) so refilling will occur more-so when its empty rather than leaving it for a week and it evaporating
  8. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Does anyone remember the old Scripto lighters? They got around the evaporation problem but keeping the fluid in a tank at the bottom, and a small tank with cotton or some kind of fabric like a Zippo above it. To use it, you turned it upside down while pushing a button on the side of it, and the fluid ran from the bottom to the top. Once you filled the top, you were good for a couple of days of lights. My old Scripto would go through a refill once for about 4 refills of a Zippo.
  9. user0003

user0003 Active Member

Yup have a few and they leak like a sieve.
  10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I guess I got lucky, I never had that problem. I haven't seen one in years, are they even being made anymore?
  11. user0003

user0003 Active Member

No.... I liked them, they had some cool features. The rubber valve seals were the weak point.
    Mark w4mms likes this.
  12. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll give it a shot.
  13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

It is fine. Use it.[/quote]

Samual Jackson, Pulp Fiction. -- "Check out the big brain on Brad (jhe888). You a smart ****** ******. That's right!"

It's my all time favorite line. A close second. "English ****** ******! Do you speak it?"
    Mark w4mms and Mister Moo like this.
  14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Stay Calm - Press On Moderator

Do they speak english in What? :bag:
    Mark w4mms and Ol Brokedik like this.
  15. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

What is a small country between Itsmyass and Holycrap.
    Mark w4mms and ATXPipe like this.
  16. SBritton

SBritton Member

I have a can of off-brand lighter fluid, it is about 6 years old and still fine. You should be using matches to light those pipes anyhow.