Double/tripple puffing

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Captain Eight, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I have got into the habit of taking a few puffs in quick succession, not just one sip, expelling the smoke from the opposite corner of my mouth as I take the next puff. Usually between three and four. "puff puff puff ... rest ... puff puff puff". I think I do this for two reasons, firstly, I can taste it better; second because it helps keep it lit are firing (I did just read Moo's post on keeping your pipe lit).

Maybe this is a bad habit that is causing my smokes to burn to hot? I don't get tongue bite anymore, but I have noticed my bowls don't taste as good in the second half. The last quarter is often downright rotten, but I persist in order to properly break-in the pipe.

What are the thoughts of the old-farts?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

You answered your own question. ;)

That's what happens to most tobaccos when they're overpuffed. What's likely happening is that the natural progression of combustion-to-moisture is occurring and you're getting too much juice in the bottom of the bowl, which is tainting the taste of the tobacco.

If you want to taste the smoke better without overpuffing, try snorking, which is blowing smoke out the nose. The entire palate includes the nasal passages and this will help you taste the entire gamut of the blend. Do a search for Father Moo's thread "Taste: It's all in the snork".

3. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

i used to double puff when i was a noob.. I didn't know of better.. Don't do it.. I learnt that it is harmful to the bowl, the baccy, your tongue & your general pipe smoking ''career'' as a whole.. One puff.. Long and slow.. Let it rest.. When it seems to nearly die on you.. Puff again..

If it does die, let it.. It's not as if you have to ''bury'' it cos it died.. Let it cool, tamp, relight.. Simple.. After a while, you gain the ability to tell just before it dies on you..

Double-taps are for combat.. Slow single draws.. Taste the sugar in your bowl.. :sh:

psquared, Fbones24 and dmkerr like this.
  4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Sounds like you're at glory's gate. A little more tamp, a little more resistance, maybe, to make more smoke with fewer, softer sips. Sips and clouds. It is fishhook.

5. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Just makes me wonder if you're having a yen for spinach and ever ask where is Olive Oyl? :)

6. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Spot on! I was going to say "like Popeye", but wasn't sure anyone would get what I was talking about.

For what it's worth, I do "eats me spinach". Love the stuff.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  7. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Thanks fellahs.

I think part of the reason I've got into this habit, is that I don't get much out of the first puff. It sort of just "rekindles the embers", and the next one or two puffs get the smoke going. I will take your advice, and experiment with what Moo suggested for getting more smoke.

dmkerr: I already do breath the smoke through my nose, probably too often and too much. I don't like the word "snork". I guess it's better than the cigar guys, who call it "retrohaling" - which doesn't even make sense. I insist on calling it "blowing smoke out my nose" ;)

psquared and dmkerr like this.
  8. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

What does "it is fishhook" mean? Sorry, not down with the lingo.

I'm really struggling with this. The good news is the pipe isn't getting anywhere near as hot. The bad news is that I'm can't get any significant amount of smoke out of it (barring when I first light it, and maybe the next draw after that), and so I can't taste anything. Tastes like I'm smoking small whiffs of steam, and it doesn't take long before it requires a relight.

Pack it harder, you reckon?

9. Mister Moo

Last stop. End of the line. You're almost there. Make small changes in fill and tamp.

What tobacco you smoking?

10. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I'm glad you think so, because it doesn't feel that way to me. Although I'm certainly light-years ahead of where I was when I started.

I'm smoking two W.Ø.Larsen blends, 1864 and 2012 Edition. These aren't my usual tobaccos. I usually smoke heavy Latakia blends. I'm just experimenting.

I've dumped and re-packed three times tonight, experimenting slightly with the pack. Not really getting far, unfortunately. It seems I always have the same problem. Using the "one sip" method I just can't keep the thing alight. I have to relight after every three-to-five puffs.

Really just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am still breaking this pipe in, although I reckon it's well on it's way (had over 10 half-bowls through it by now, and 2 or 3 full bowls).

The only time I get a good draw on it is when I'm relighting it. After that I get an okay draw. After that I'm sipping at whisps.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Snorking is easier to type and say. Or perhaps I'm just blowing smoke out my...er... yeah. Hey Cap, you call it whatever you like, it's all good! :th1:

Captain Eight likes this.
  12. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

This is an interesting topic indeed.
    My specific cadence is, ( and has been since the 80's) in puffs of three.
    I place the bit to the corner of my mouth, take the first (shallow) draw, and expel the smoke through the opposite corner, then without removing the bit, take the second draw (deep) and expel through the nose , and then without removing the bit take a third draw (normal), remove the bit from my mouth, and either expel through the center of my lips (85% of the time), or french inhale (15%).
    I then rest the pipe for a period of 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and repeat.

Here's the thing though, in the 80's, when I learned to smoke a pipe, there was no internet. No wealth of knowledge to draw from. No one to tell me I was doing it wrong.
    Apparently I still have a lot to learn.
    If I ever get over this horrible sinus infection, I'll do a little experimenting with this, but I fear my bad habits are, at this point, too ingrained in me to change.

Captain Eight likes this.
  13. Mister Moo

That's good!

Pretty normal, garden variety no-complications tobacco as I recall. Gotta be "either/or" I'd guess. You're either filling/tamping the pipe too firmly or not firmly enough. If your filling errs to the side of too loose then I can't imagine you'd need to dump and refill. So......

14. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Thanks very much for you advice Mr Moo.

I experiment a lot with my packing. Sometimes almost just gravity-filled, sometimes "packed in". I guess it's the only way to learn.

I'll keep trying. For the moment anyway, I'm concentrating on long, slow, single sips. I still sometimes "double tap" it to get the embers flaring and some smoke coming out, but at-least I'm concious of it now, and keep it to two instead of three or four without thinking. That's some improvement, surely.

The good news is that I have noticed that the bowls don't taste so sour and yuk in the last quarter. Now I just have to figure out the rest. Sometimes seems like I'm taking two steps back and one step forward.

15. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Yeah, that sounds pretty much exactly how I've been doing. I find that the first draw is needed to fire up the embers and get them smoking. The second one is the money-draw where I get the smoke out. The third (or fourth) are just being greedy. :)

16. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Tonight I went back to a Latakia blend (Captain Earl's Stimulus Package), in a favorite old pipe. I'd been smoking a new pipe (a Peterson churchwarden) with new tobaccos (Larsen). The difference since I last smoked Latakia through this pipe was huge. Smoking my old pipe with my old tobaccos, but with my "new technique", everything "just worked". I smoked the whole thing down to ash with minimul re-lights (4 or 5, and only at the bottom to get the last bits) and - for the first time ever - no sour tastes at the end.

Latakia just burns so much easier and so much cooler than aromatics. I have no idea why everyone isn't recommending Latakia for beginners. In fact, it seems the opposite: beginners are recommended to start on difficult-to-burn and tongue-bitey aromatics. It's all back-to-front for my 2c.

Those Larsen tobaccos are certainly quality. Definitely the best aromatics I've tried, so I don't want to take anything any from them. I just think they require a bit more skill and experience to smoke.

So long story short, the advice I've received in this thread, thanks to Mr. Moo and others, has made a huge and noticeable difference within just a week. I felt like I was tredding water for a bit, but obviously that was due to the new pipe and new tobaccos. My next goal on the mission to becoming a pipe master is to be able to smoke aromatics with such ease. I have a feeling that's quite a challange. I'll try one tomorrow in my old pipe (risking ghosting), just to see whether it's the pipe or the tobacco that made the difference. I suspect it was both.

Anyway - thanks guys. Really helped.

edit: one little trick I worked out myself was, if I need to "fire up the embers", instead of double or triple puffing, instead blow a puff or two back out of the pipe, which will still fire it up, and then draw on it. The difference, obviously, is that I'm not drawing hot smoke through the rest of the bowl and fouling it up.

Mister Moo and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.