1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dr. grabow berwyck pipe.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by RTOdhner, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've got s Dr. G Berwyck pipe that I keep in my office. It's a basic Pot style pipe with a reddish, sand blasted finish. The band was originally plated or coated with some gold-colored material. It takes a paper filter, and the stem screws into the shank. It's stamped with the Dr. Grabow name on the shank, and has a whiite Dr. G. spade on the stem. I got curious about the pipe, so I did some research on it. In the brief time I could spend researching it, I discovered some interesting trivia.

It was a pipe of higher quality than what Dr. G normally offered at the time, and it was a "speciality pipe" made for at least two vendorsvendors who were interested in offering a more upscale pipe for their customer base. It does not appear to be one of Dr. G's regular lines, and so far I've found two possible sources for this pipe:

1) In the 1950's, LL Bean used to sell pipes and tobacco. Dr. G. made Berwycks for them. However, all examples that I could find were clearly stamped with the name LL Bean and were meerschaum- lined. This pipe is not so marked, and is not meerschaum-lined.

2) From 1964 to about 1980, the RJR tobacco company contracted with Dr. G for the manufacture of their coupon pipes (i.e. send in "X"-number of RJR coupons, plus "X"-amount of dollars, and receive this pipe). Dr. G used it's upscale Berwyck line for RJR, but I could find no reference to these pipes being either meerschaum-lined or stamped with the RJR moniker.

RJR had it's own buyers source the briar, and they used a a higher quality Vulcanite for the stems. I don't klnow if LL Bean sourced their own briar, or if they left that to the Dr. G buyers. Seeing as my Berwyck is not meerschaum-lined, and does not carry the LL Bean moniker, I'm going to guess that it was an RJR pipe. However, if LL Bean and RJR both carried the Berwyck, it is likely that other companies also contracted out to Dr. G. for the Berwyck; so, it may be a pipe offered by someone other than RJR. If I can find my camera cable, I'll post a photo.

2. November

November Member

Got any pics of your Berwyck? Most of my pipes are Grabows so I'd be interested in seeing it.

I think ll bean also sold the SmokeMaster series of pipes which were also Dr Grabow produced. Here's a pic of my smokemaster 300 series.

[​IMG]

3. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

The berwyck is limited to 19 styles smooth or rustic by grabow when they made pipes for rjr.briarcraft made smokemaster pipes for ll bean,grabow bought briarcraft pipes and continued to make pipes for ll bean.check out the dr grabow collectors forum for mor info on ll bean pipes and the westbrook coupon pipes.

4. RTOdhner

I'll need to check it out. I didn't have much time to check it out today at work. but the little I found on it really perked my interest.

5. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Rtodhner,also check out RJS website (drgrabow-pipe-info.com) a bunch of grabow history there also between the 2 sites you should get all your info.

6. RTOdhner

I've got another estate pipe that maybe you can help me with. It's a typical straight Pot, but with one of the nicest grains and dark walnut finishes I've ever seen. However, it does have a handfull of very small fills. It is stamped with the brand Shields in nice cursive-type scroll on one side of the shamk, and on the other it is stamped IMPORTED BRIAR, and immediately below that it is stamped HAND MADE in standard, italicized block letters. It has a standard vulcanite stem, and it is not made to take either a stinger or a paper filter. It is a very nice smoking pipe, and it seems to do best with good ol' American OTC's.

I've searched for the name Shields offand on, but cannot find anything on it except for another Shields pipe (a standard bent Billiard) that was for auction out of Fort Worth. Considering that I bought my Shields pipe at an estate shop about 35 miles south of Fort Worth, I've considered the possibility that Shields was a pipe shop that used to exist somewhere in the area. I thought maybe it was a department store or some such place, but I've talked to several long-time residents of the area, and they never heard of any business named Shields.

Since Grabow, Kaywoodi, or Briarworks all made higher quality pipes for private label business such as RJR amd LL Bean, I think this pipe being made by one of those companies for a defunct DFW-area B&M called Shields. (One of my first pipes was such a pipe made for a B&M in the Lehigh Valley, PA, so I know that pipe companies make such pipes). However, this is just a WAG. Do you have any idea who might have made this pipe?

7. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I have a straight Grabow Westbrook that was an anonomous gift from a PSFer. I love it's shape and style and it smokes great. I'll try to get a pic up later. Any info on this line? Thanks.

8. RTOdhner

No, sorry, I don't know anything about the Dr. G Westbrook, but it looks like Color Duke and November are some serious Dr. G affectionados. I'd bet they probably know a thing or two about them.

9. ruffinogoldswife

I checked that website and it's under construction. They did mention Westbrook as a special offer pipe and one that was sought after. Did a Google search and it seems like they're everywhere. Just wondering, no biggie.:D

10. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Westbrook pipes by drgrabow were coupon pipes offered by rj reynolds in pa,ch and george washington pipe tobacco,it was the only way to obtain them it was a huge money maker for drgrabow.They were produced from 61 or 64 up till about 1984 i believe.The smoker would save coupons and send to drgrabow pipes and get a westbrook in return after his first order he got a westbrook shape chart and then could pick his own shape during his next order.There were 76 different models that included smooth,rustic,bent or straight they also had the metal stinger in them the earlier pipes had a vulcanite stem and later had plastic.I have aprox 18 westbrooks now and they all smoke great.If there is anything else i can help answer fire away,like i said before there is a ton of info over on the grabow collectors forum and a great bunch of guys as well.

11. ruffinogoldswife

That's so cool. Mine is a great shape. It's just slightly bent, and the bowl is like a tall Dublin that then comes down to a point. The grain is really pretty. I know, pics or it ain't real. I'll get to it. Anyway, it really well and I love it! Mine has the vulcanite stem, so I guess it's one of the older ones. Thanks so much for the info.:D

12. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Sounds like you have the #x04 westbrook.I just checked RJ's site did you scroll down and click on any of his info and listen to thr drg song,that song is so cool it came from a short clip made back in the mid 70's when ust owned grabow it was sung by a grabow worker i want to say on this forum somewhere is a post or link by ted a former grabow worker that shows a few minutes of it i know its on the dgcf under simple pleasures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.