1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Grabow Finishes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DGErwin11, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Does anyone know what kind of finish Dr G uses? I had one bubble up on me during break in.
    My solution:[​IMG][​IMG] Top photo new after hand sanding
    Bottom photo after one week's normal use.

2. DGErwin11

Oops photos jumped left new right current.

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Those look like the pictures my eye doctor keeps on his desk. ;). Try again?

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Most of their stuff is lacquered I think . I wish they'd just wax them . I refinished a Grabow Lark years ago and it smokes like a dream .

5. DGErwin11

How did you remove finish? Sanding is a chore.

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

If it is lacquered, then lacquer thinner is your best bet. Just dampen rags and work on slowly wiping it off, changing to a clean rag periodically. DO NOT SMOKE WHILE DOING THIS, AND WORK IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA, OUTSIDE IF POSSIBLE. Dispose of rags in a sealed metal container, or stretch them over a fence in the shade to dry completely. Lacquer thinner is extremely volatile and can cause spontaneous combustion of rags left in a heap or open container, such as a trash can. You may also find that the stain comes off as well, so be prepared for that eventuality.

7. DGErwin11

Not a problem for 2 reasons. 1) I am partial to natural pipes &2) While a Dr G is a very good smoker, the finish including stain leaves me cold.

8. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Consult your local fire marshall before attempting to refurbish Dr. Grabow pipes. Your neighborhood fire station will have a brochure with simple, easy-to-follow instructions to prevent you from burning your town to the ground when removing the lacquer from a Grabow. Do not place pipe cleaning materials where your cow will be able to kick a kerosene lamp in their direction.

Herb's advice is really quite sound, but I couldn't resist. It was a surprise to see such a thorough, and eminently sensible, safety advisory, and a reminder that even projects that seem straightforward carry their own risks when we don't pay attention.

Don't play with fire, and,
    Smoke in good health,
    WK

9. DGErwin11

I live in rural central Georgia. We don't need no stinkin' fire marshall. Or revenoors either.:bing:

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Sorry, WK, I used to work for Sherwin-Williams, and now I work for a lawyer, so I feel obliged to include a safety clause with any advice I give about playing with hazardous chemicals. I have a fair bit of experience refinishing furniture, so I know a few tricks, though. :byg:

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

It only takes about 15 or 20 minutes, and that's with fine grit sand paper. Why they put the lacquer on there is a mystery to me, since I think they look better just stained and without the shiny coat

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I sand them . I guess I could use a solvent but I dont like the idea of that on the pipe . RTO is right ... it dosent take to long and you'll retain some of the stain more than likely . I sanded the laquer off a Medico Crest pot the other day ... it really opened it up . That pipe is so light ... I'm enjoying it big time .

13. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

It was worthwhile public service. I didn't mean to make fun. It was just a surprise, but I wholly endorse the intent. Enough mischief has been caused by inattention that a helpful reminder will never hurt.

Thanks,
    WK

14. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

No worries, Matthew, no offense taken.

Come to think of it, maybe they should change the warning on stuff like that to "KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. AND COWS."

15. qwik

qwik Member

I also sanded finish off my grand duke, not hard at all, and put a slight bend in stem. liking the natural finish

16. DGErwin11

I hope the folks in the finishing dept over in Sparta don't think we are a bunch of heathens. Seems quite a few of us prefer natural finish. Or at least detest lacquer/varnis finishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.