1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Grabow lacquered finish pipes.. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TheMadMan, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

I have a Dr. G lacquered finish pipe that needs some help. I went ahead an used lacquer thinner & wool to remove the coat. So what product now should i use to put the coat back on that wont bubble up from the heat? Or should i sand, stain, then just wax it?

Edit.. Ooops i should of placed this in a different category. Sorry Mods about this mistake.

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'd just sand lightly and then buff and wax, they look great if they aren't full of fills.

Basil Meadows likes this.
  3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

If you bubbled the finish on a DrG which I have done myself in the past you were smoking way to hot, just sand, stain and wax or leave as is.

4. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Thanks cobbs. This is an estate that i picked up this way and trying to do a restore on it. Was wondering why she bubbled up. Guess with a Dr. G once it gets hot, just let it go out and relight a few minutes later? Thanks for the warning as i do smoke hot sometimes and could see me doing that to my Dr.G :(

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Oh, okay, some smokers are fast puffers and smoke pipes with a glowing cherry from start to finish, if any pipe starts to heat up on you, you should let it cool down a bit and just relight, your tobacco should burn at the coolest temperature possible for the best flavor.

6. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I took the lacquer off my Omega and just left it as is. It has a nice satin finish now.

7. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

I too would like an answer to this question. I have re-lacquered some pipes, and sometimes the lacquer bubbles up when it gets hot. It always chars on the edge of the bowl. I compromised by only re-lacquering the outside of the bowl, and waxing or oiling the top.

Obviously I am not using the kind of lacquer that, for example, Dr. Grabow uses. Someone must know the answer to the question as posed. Perhaps this thread would be better placed in the pipe-making forum.

BTW, it appears to me that a Dr. Graybow often has a very dark stain with transparent magenta colored lacquer over it.

8. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Jive Dadson; Yeah noticed i placed this thread in the wrong topic, but i couldn't move it over once i noticed it.

I also would like to know what's the best lacquer choice that should be used on them..

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Pehaps Ted will chime in when he sees this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.