1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dr. Grabow "Lark" vs. Dr. Grabow "Duke"

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Pecci, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Can anyone tell me what the differences are???

I need another reasonably priced pipe with a small bowl.

2. Edlj

Edlj Member

The Lark and Duke are the cheapest lines made by Grabow. Basically they are the same,just different names. A lot of the older ones were made in Italy. While they are all likely to have lots of fills the Italian pipes seem to have more,but then fills do not affect how a pipe smokes.Older pipes will have vulcanite stems,newer (1980's up) ones have ABS stems. The older pipes used a small stinger-easily removed. The newer ones are filter pipes,although use of the filter is optional.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

The Lark and Duke bowls sizes run Dunhill size 1/2, I used them for flake tobaccos.

4. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I've been wondering about this since they seem to come in the same shapes (granted, I don't have the patience to do the page by page comparison. If they are basically the same with different names, why does Grabow bother? I suspect Ted will show up with the answer shortly.
    Cheers,
    WK

5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I wonder if the color of the finish, is the difference between them.

6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I've got both in my collection and the only difference I can tell is that the grain and finish seems a little nicer on the Dukes. Both seem to smoke about the same, which is to say wonderfully considering the low price.

7. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I've checked with the drugstore chains, and all I see are the "Grand Duke's".

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

For what it's worth, the Grand Duke is my favorite among my four Grabows. A fine little pipe that gave me good smokes from the start, and no break-in troubles.

9. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thanks, for the comment.

What is the difference between the Duke and the Grand Duke?

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

I don't have a regular Duke, but from the ones I've seen I don't detect any difference of consequence.

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I had a Duke which I passed on to a friend and I still have a Grand Duke (ans a Royal Duke too). The only difference between my Duke & Grand Duke is the Duke had a nice metal band.

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

.....and the friend is still enjoying both! The only difference I can see is in the colour of the briar stain and the Lark has Grabow's trademark stylised Lark carved into it.

Good smokers both inho

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.