1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dr. Grabow Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jason1977, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

So how do these things smoke? Are they good smokers? I have a $25 basket pipe I got back in 2002 that's now selling for $50 on the internet these days, lol, and that $25 Parker smokes like a dream~

I'm just wondering because you can get it at walgreens, & they're relatively cheap, so I put them in the basket pipe category~ I see people here smoking them, I know they're filtered, etc, I'm just curious as to how they smoke, quality, lack of quality, quirks, etc~

2. krusty

krusty Active Member

I can't speak to the new production Grabow's as all of mine are at least 10 years old and older.
    Not a poor performer in the ones I do have.
    Basket pipe defined strictly by purchase price? Sure.
    Dependable device with which to enjoy a bowl of tobacco? Absolutely!

Jay, Thuber88 and colorduke like this.
  3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Basket pipes are usually factory seconds. Some good, most not so much. The Dr Gs that you buy new are decent solid smokers. If I were to choose, I would take a Dr G over a basket pipe. The ones I have seen have decent engineering.

colorduke and Thuber88 like this.
  4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I have 5 Grabow's, 3 are briars, and although I am unsure of the age of the newest one (a Regal 65) the others are from the 60's, all of them are fine smokers.
    The other 2 are Vikings, and smoke very nicely as well
    They might not be fancy brand names, but for me, they are as good as my fancier brand name pipes, and for the money for some estate ones, how can you go wrong with something that smokes well and not worry about it, all for as much or less than a new cob many times.
    A cheap price does not mean low quality, although I cannot comment on the newest ones.
    Find a shape that you like, and try one, pretty good odds you will not be sorry for what you invest in one
    Make sure you ONLY buy MM cobs, inexpensive, and very good smokers!

Filters are personal preference, I don't use filters in anything I own

Moose, colorduke and ted like this.
  5. ted

ted Member

Thurber said the right thing.. "Find a shape that you like, and try one". I've got 40some.... 'course I'm handicapped by where I worked.. ted

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The pipe I smoke most often is a Grabow . I think between Grabow and Kaywoodie , for the money , they cant be beat ! Any easy burning blend , try the filters in them , cool and dry :th1:

Coda, Thuber88 and colorduke like this.
  7. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Grabows are good solid smokers for the price + they are still made in the USA by the fine folks in Sparta NC. Now lets see how long it takes for someone to say for a few $$ more you can get a Pete or Sav or ? Grabows are good I should know I have around 100 or so and smoke just about all of them.

ted and Thuber88 like this.
  8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

They are great...with or without filter...

colorduke and ruffinogold like this.
  9. DGErwin11

They are not my cup of tea. What they are, is an excellent value. I do have am Omega that smokes almost as good as any other pipe I have.

User3940 and Thuber88 like this.
  10. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

I have two myself and they are both good smokers. Between them and cobs, they are the way to go for a smoker on a budget.

11. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Some of my favorite pipes are Dr. G's. I find them to always be dependable and have yet had one that does not smoke well. Including the two Dr. G Omegas that I have up for trade ;)

colorduke, ted and Thuber88 like this.
  12. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

I have an older one but it never fails. It's a winner. But I have a friend who bought one of the new ones. Usually one Friday nights a bunch of us get together and smoke cigars and pipes. My friend smoked for a couple weeks his new one but that was about it. He doesn't smoke it anymore. He said the older Grabows just smoke better. And I have read this also a few times though the threads in the forum. You can find older ones on ebay for a good price. That's were I got mine. I need to get me more!

13. DGErwin11

Let's not forget the most important criteria of what makes a pipe a good pipe. Do you like it? If yes, then it is by definition a good pipe.

14. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Dr Grabows are great pipes. I can't speak to the lower end new ones (duke, lark) as I don't have any, but the Royalton and Big Pipe are fantastic pipes and really can't be beat for the price.

colorduke likes this.
  15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I have several that smoke just fine. The quality of the new ones is not quite what the older ones used to be as has been mentioned, but their customer service is absolutely great if you ever have trouble with one. I'd say go ahead and give one a try, you just might like it!

FWIW I smoke mine without the filters.

ted and colorduke like this.
  16. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Gosh, I guess I'm the odd man out.:confused: I have 2 Grabows. Both are modern day & small. If I ever buy another it will be of 'vintage' variety. I think my 2 smoke just ok. I don't like the way the mortise & tenon fit. It feels and sounds very gritty. I do have 2 basket pipes, too. One is awesome. The only thing wrong was it that a very small portion of the pre-break-in surface was missing. I simply ignored it and after the first 2-3 uses, you'd never know the difference. On the other hand, the other is a beauty, but draught hole doesn't line up properly. This 2nd pipe was bought on-line. It smokes well, though.

17. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I will agree that the newer and smaller Dr. G models are not my favorite. Not because they do not smoke good, but because they are just too small. I like a bigger bowl so I try to stay with the older models.

ted and Thuber88 like this.
  18. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I have maybe a dozen or more ranging from the 1930's & 40's to probably the late 50's &60's I like them well enough, I think the older ones are seriously under rated/under valued.

I've sold about 40 pipes in the last six months culling the herd...very few of them have been Grabows, most of them won't bring enough to replace them with pipes that smoke as well.

ted, Thuber88 and colorduke like this.
  19. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

A nice thing with Grabow is you can get their higher grade lines and still not spend much, especially if you go estate. I got a Golden Duke Yachtsman with exceptionally nice grain for about $20 if I recall correctly. It's 20-30 years old, was in like-new condition, and is a fantastic smoke.

ted, colorduke and Thuber88 like this.
  20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I have several newer Dr. Grabow pipes in my current rotation and all of mine are the smaller bowled ones by choice, as they are excellent for flake tobaccos.

Texhealer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.