1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dr. Grabow "Special 11" Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Otoolefan, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I recently got a Dr. Grabow "Special 11" pipe, my second briar pipe since becoming a pipe smoker for real. (The other one is a small Grand Duke). Anyhow, I bought this pipe at a local tobacco shop here in Oklahoma run by the Chickasaw. The pipe seemed just a bit different than the ones I've seen in a box at Walgreen's.

I've only been smoking the pipe for about a week now but already really like it. Today I found out that this model pipe was only offered online or by mail, a special noting an anniversary of Dr. Grabow, and they stopped selling it in September of 2011.

So I thought it a little strange that I found one for sale NOW at a store. Just wondering if anyone else was able to buy one of these in a store.

Anyhow, I'm glad I found one....

Don

2. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

No pics. The pipe is imaginary. :D

Rewster66, Basil Meadows and Coda like this.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Pics or you bought a bubble pipe...

4. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

5. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Link's not working for me. Anybody else seeing it?

6. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  7. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Sorry for link trouble. Still a bit computer illiterate when it comes to uploading my own phone photos onto this site. I was definitely born in the wrong century. Probably one of the reasons I became a pipe smoker :)

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  8. ted

ted Member

Special 11 was, in fact, a special promotion from Grabow. Several of my "crones" bought a "bunch" off the (Grabow) website. Even without a picture they are as stated.... only made in 2011.... never to be made again.. Beware 2012.... ted

Rewster66 and Johnny Dingo like this.
  9. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

So, they were never sold in stores? Weird that one showed up in my tobacco store...

10. ted

ted Member

Don, I'm sure that any not sold through mail order and/or online were sent out to retail shops. You are lucky... there seemed to be very few left.
    BTW... There were several complaints with them.. The filter didn't always fit as it should... I took 2 back to the factory to be repaired. Most folks just smoked them sans filter.. ted

dwaugh likes this.
  11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's a nice lookin pipe !

12. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Ted,

Thanks for the info. So far, so good. Haven't had any problems with the filter. My only complaint is that I wish the stem was just a little longer, kind of the way it is with the Grand Duke I have. Think the stem is just a bit too short considering the size of the bowl. But that might just be me...

Don

13. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I bought mine online from Grabow when it was offered. I love it and it's my everyday burley pipe.

14. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Excellent. Very happy with mine so far. Going to use it for the same purpose.

15. ted

ted Member

FYI... Grabow has just started an "1812 anniversary edition". Only heard about it... not seen. ted

dwaugh likes this.
  16. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Got the email today on it Ted,looks like i better build another cabinet.

dwaugh likes this.
  17. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

I got the email today as well, and plan to order myself an 1812.

18. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Pics?...

19. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Coda, I don't have a pic that I can post, but there was a pic of the pipe in the PDF that they attached to the email. I'm new to this forum....do we have private messaging? If you want to PM me your email addy, I'd be happy to forward the email to you. (I assume you wouldn't want to post your personal email addy in the thread).

20. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

From the tiny pic I got in the email, the 1812 doesn't look particularly flashy, just a billiard (with your choice of bent or straight, smooth or carved). And it is priced about the same as other Dr Grabows. But it is stamped "Freedom 1812" and has a brass band, and it comes with a "presentation faux drawstring bag" (direct quote from the email LOL!), and is a limited edition...and I was gonna order a couple of new Grabows anyway, so I figure it's worth a shot ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.