Dr Grabow Starfire Pipe

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I bought a slightly used Dr Grabow "Starfire" pipe a few weeks ago. I really like the wire-carved pattern on it and I wanted a black pipe to contrast with the 2 brown Dr Grabows I have.

The pipe stem looked nearly pristine in the photo, but quickly revealed a good bit of oxidation after I started handling it. This bugged me, but I was able to nearly all of it with a Mr. Clean Extra Strength Magic Eraser. Now, the pipe truly feels like it's my own.

So far, this pipe has been an excellent smoker and I love the look and feel of it. I believe it was only smoked a few times and that whoever smoked it, smoked HALF & HALF. I'm not a big fan of H&H, but the ghost is nearly gone.

The bowl of this pipe is lighter than I thought it would be, and almost feels slightly ceramic--wondering if this was a feature of the "Starfire" line...

Anyway, this is already becoming one of my favorite pipes. Wondering if anyone can tell me what decade this pipe is from, if that's possible from the photo...

Picture of my Dr Grabow "Starfire" pipe ~ http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10...198&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0,i:102

Rewster66 likes this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man , that pipe looks brand new ! That finish is what I , and I believe Kaywoodie , call a Fine Line finish . I got a Kaywoodie fine line bulldog from Nesta a while ago . It was caked w/ H&H and I've been smoking H&H in it .......... It's great ! It's my first fine line and smokes fantastic ! Enjoy yours :thu2:

3. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks! And I am enjoying it--caking it with Kentucky Club Continental Blend now. When I first got it, the inside of the bowl was still kind of red at the very top--indicating to me it hadn't even been smoked enough to turn all of the red black.

This pipe comes with a stinger, so I don't have to fool with a filter. I really like that as well.

ruffinogold likes this.
  4. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Any idea when they stopped making the "Starfire" pipes?

5. ted

ted Member

1994..last sold. 1990..last made.
    Is it "shape stamped"? If it is stamped #31,#70, #73, or #53.. then I'll back the date up by 12 years.. ted

6. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Don't know what you mean by "shape stamped", but it just says "Starfire Dr. Grabow" on the underside of the stem, rather than on the side. No #'s...

7. ted

ted Member

Sorry, We/Grabow stopped the "shape stamping" in 1978... except for a few.. Commodore, Eldorado, and anything sent to South Africa or Australia..

After 1978, for your Starfire.. Old enough to be a vintage... Smoke it, enjoy it, ... Great Pipe..Wish it had a shape stamped on it............ ted

dwaugh likes this.
  8. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks for the info, Ted! I wasn't really hoping it was extra old. Just curious. I'm really happy with this pipe already. Wish they would bring back the wirecarved style again. Love that look! Hope to get more used Starfire pipes in the future.

Don

9. ted

ted Member

Wirecarved.. Starfire/Viscount my collection also....
    Tough to do. Only Joey Caldwell can still do the carving.
    He is good, and the only one left,

but, not as good as Ed Woodle. ... Ed only had 1 eye..
    Try that on........................ ted

Rewster66 and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.