1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dr Grabow starfire

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by tyler 32, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I'm already there. The only reason I don't have more is that the ones I run into around town are usually pretty beat up.

I just did a pipe count last night. I'm up to 12 (only been going at it a month). I have two more on the way. If I keep this up...the people from 'Hoarders' will be stopping by before too long.

Basil Meadows likes this.
  2. tyler 32

tyler 32 Member

That's funny my pipe count is up to 18 grabows and 5 corn cobs, along with a no name brair, but it still smokes good.

3. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Lucky. My first two pipes were no name briars that I picked up locally. They're absolute $h1t to smoke. Crap draw (I hosed one up attempting to open it up). My $5-10 vintage pipes ALL smoke better than those two.

That big Starfire was my third pipe. It smoked so well that it set me down the vintage pipe hoarding path, lol.

4. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Ordered a Starfire today.

[​IMG]

Fully stoked.

5. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

I like those Starfires. Been looking at a few of those and a Royalton... Good looking collections, gents!

6. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

One of my Girl-friends rode one :whis:
    [​IMG]

WalkinStick likes this.
  7. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

So I've got my Starfire, and whatever the guy who sold it to me was smoking 25 years ago has left a VERY strong scent that I'm afraid might effect the taste of my smoke.

I kind of want to clean it, but would like to have some idea what I'm getting into. Is there an official estate pipe refurbishing thread or something that might serve for this?

8. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Sea salt or Kosher salt, and Everclear, some use other alcohol, Youtube has some great video's covering the process, you can get them really clean this way, if you have a lot of cake in the bowl, you will want to get rid of that first, Lots of pipe cleaners and paper towels, and an eye dropper to put the alcohol on the salt in the bowl, the alcohol can strip the finish off the outside, so you only want it in the bowl.
    There are numerous posts on this as well, lots of great stuff here, more than you need, if you fish around for things.
    And there are companies that do these things also, but you have to send it off and wait, and pay more, and you lose the experience.

pacificflows likes this.
  9. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

I've already got some salt and alcohol soaking in the bowl for tonight. I went through quite a few of the P&C regular cleaners on the shank, and got some of the oxidation off with toothpaste. I'm thinking bristled cleaners might be more effective here.

After I scrape the cake off, how long should I wait before reapplying salt and alcohol? I've read horror stories of cracking occurring from this process if done for extended periods, so I'm thinking it might be a hazard if done too often.

Is there something particularly recommended for cleaning the outside of the bowl? Is just good ol' Murphy's Oil a bad idea?

10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I thought I read today that Murphy's will strip it, but I will have to recheck, I read so much on here during my 8-15 hrs a day here, I lose track of some tidbits.
    Don't try the Murphy's until you have done a good search on here.
    Some of the biggest cake should have been scraped off before the salt, if its after, you will probably need at least 1-2 more applications of the salt, it will probably be dark brown this time by morning. did you leave a cleaner in the stem during your salt or is the stem out?
    By noon you will have a dozen better answers than mine, just was trying to get your started
    Did you check out the pipe restoration videos on youtube? its covered very well and a lot of our members post videos there as well.
    Hope some of my ramblings help a tiny bit.
    Trust me, by Noon, I will be wrong, :p:

pacificflows likes this.
  11. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Hey, I appreciate the help rambling or no.

Maybe the salting will soften the cake. I'd like to remove as much as I can. Whatever was regularly smoked in this is not something I'm a fan of. I took the stem off and plugged the bowl with a cellophane covered quetip.

I'm thinking about just doing a re-finish on the bowl, but as you can see from the picture the rustication makes that seem kind of daunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.