Dr. Grabow Stems

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bent, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Bent

Bent Member

Hello everyone

I've heard about older Grabows having better stems. I don't have experience with older models but I've had 3 modern Grabows and the stems always break. Grabows are nice smokers, but I always end up with a cracked stem and unable to find a replacement.

I would like to add a few Grabows to my collection but have been apprehensive due to the quality issues. I was wondering if there are Grabow lines with quality stems? I mean new ones, I don't want to buy an estate.

My issue is that Grabows are 20 to 25 bucks, sometimes 30 depending on the retailer. For about 40 dollars I can buy a Savinelli Duca Carlo which are surprisingly well made and last a life time.

Any thoughts?
  2. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

I've never had this problem and I've got a few Grabows (new and estates) in the collection. Maybe you're clenching too hard? Perhaps some Softee rubber bits would help. They only run about a buck for a two pack and even cheaper in bulk. I've heard Grabow stems aren't as good as what you might find on a Savinelli, but none have cracked on me yet thank goodness.
  3. Beale

Beale Member

I actually talked on the phone to them yesterday. They do sell "replacement stems" $9.00 and shipping? I dunno may want to order a few? Beale.
  4. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Hmm, I wonder if they sell any military-style stems w/o a P-Lip to replace those abominations on my Omegas...love the pipe, hate the bit.
  5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I have an old Omega as well, and indeed the stem cracked on me. It split just flush with the edge of the mount. I think it may have been a combination of letting the inside of the mount get too rough and gunky and being too forceful when twisting/jamming the stem in there. I epoxied it back together (careful to clean it up and let it cure before smoking it) and that worked for a while, but it of course eventually split right there again. The pipe sat in torpor for a couple of years before I finally broke down and sent the $12.00 check ($9+3S&H) to Sparta, NC. Got the replacement stem, it works fine, though the bend is markedly different, which I thought was weird. I think I'll just try to be more gentle with it and keep it cleaner now. The old nag still smokes pretty well! If the stem breaks again, I'll probably just pick up an extra pre-formed from PIMO for $3 and shape the tenon down myself (partly because I'm cheap, partly because I like fiddling with this stuff :cool: ). Those military mounts are pretty forgiving and as long as you don't need it to look perfect (who are we kidding- you're smoking an Omega :eek:hyeah: ) a pocket knife, hand drill and some sandpaper will do the trick.
  6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

BTW- If you're going to buy a new Grabow, buy direct. Unless you have a local retailer you're trying to support, you can save some money just going straight to Grabow. http://www.drgrabow.net/pipecleaner.aspx
    Send them an email and they'll get you a mini-catalog and price list. (I only have one Grabow and would never have thought about going direct but I discovered this when I got my stem.)
  7. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

That's a great tip, Kiowa! Thank you!
  8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yay! I'm contributing! *FNG pride*
  9. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Has anyone had any luck with this north of the 49th? I registed with them back in January, and still haven't seen hide nor hair of this reputed mini-catalogue and price list, which is a real bummer, as Grabows are hard to come by in Canada.
  10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

If you like I'd be happy to email the current list to you. If I were you, though, before I put an order in the mail I'd probably call their customer line (336-372-5521) just to make sure there's not some weird tariff/regulation barring them from selling to you.
  11. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

It took them a month to process my registration, so it might be they're just a little slow as they start to ramp things up. Hopefully.
  12. Beale

Beale Member

I regestered? But can not get the retail prices to come up in my computer, Beale.
  13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Dr. Grabow Price List

Item Name ......... Smooth ......... Rustic

Lark................ $19.60 ........ $18.60
    Duke................ $20.00 ....... $19.00
    Grand Duke....... $21.25 ....... $20.25
    Riviera.............. $21.25........ $20.25
    Golden Duke....... $23.85 ........ $22.85
    Savoy................. $24.25 ........ $23.25
    Omega............... $24.85 ........ $23.85
    Cardinal............ $25.45 ......... $24.45
    Freehand............ $26.85 ........ $25.85
    Royalton............ $27.25 ......... $26.25
    Big Pipe............ $36.35 ......... $35.35

Prices remain in effect until October 1, 2011.
  14. Beale

Beale Member

Thank you so much!! Beale.
  15. kjbetz

kjbetz New Member

I currently own one pipe, a Dr. Grabow Freehand. I like it very much and have been getting great use out of it. For the price, the quality seems to be well worth it. I have nothing it to compare it to though.

I'm thinking about picking up a few more to try out, along with some corn cobs for the price.

Can anyone comment on the size of the currently available Dr. Grabow's? The Freehand at times is rather large. But I'd be interested in how the different models compare to each other in relation to size, mainly of the bowl. I know they state, or at lease 4noggins does, that the bowl size can vary.

But, in general what are the comparison in sizes among the various Dr. Grabow pipes?

Thanks!
  16. Redone

Redone Member

I have (2) graybow's a freehand which I love and a new Omega which I have not used allot but like all but that stupid tip. I took a dremnal tool and grinded mine off. Along with a little sandpaper its allot better now and smokeable. What were they thinking with that horrible tip?
  17. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

The Larks, Dukes and Grand Dukes have smaller bowls which give me a 20-30 minute smoke. The Cardinals are on the larger side and the Big Pipe speaks for itself, at least in terms of size. This might be helpful:

Grabows at WV Smoke Shop

The squares are one inch by one inch.
  18. Marc

Marc Member

That seems to be a weak point on the Omega's, I have had the same problem in the past with the stems snapping at the mount.