Dr. Grabow Without A Filter

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Recently, I bought a barely used Dr. Grabow Grand Duke briar pipe at a local thrift store... Since I began smoking a pipe in July, all I had were MM Legend pipes that I purchased at our local tobacco shop.

Anyhow, I find that the draw of the Dr. Grabow, for me, is too restrictive, so I've been smoking it without a filter and this seems to be working fine.

Anyone else here smoke Dr. Grabow's without the filter?

PS With my cob pipes, (the straight ones) I've been trimming a fluffy pipe cleaner to the same length as a filter and using it as a filter. The draw is still pretty free, but it seems to work pretty well with the slightly aromatic Kentucky Club Continental Blend. The other reason I use a "filter" with my straight cob pipes is to prevent hot ash from going into my mouth when I get down to the bottom of the bowl. The curved stem on the MM Legend seems to prevent ashes just by its shape so I don't bother even using a pipe cleaner as a filter with them.

Thanks in advance for feedback....

Don

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I own several Grabow's, and I dont use any filters in any of them. Nor do I use them in my cobs (all bent), except my straight Ozark Hardwood...

Monkey likes this.
  3. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

OK, cool. That seems to mirror my experience and conclusions.

4. ted

ted Member

Even though Grabow filters probably paid my salary for many a year............... I no longer use them, or any filter.
    As a friend said a few days ago.." I believe that the 'chamber' (sans filter) acts much like the 'well' on a Petersen". ted

Coda likes this.
  5. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

I am something of a Dr. Grabow fanatic, and the 4 that I own are heavily abused throughout the week. For a time, I used filters. Now, I use them to break in a new pipe, and then discard them completely. The draw, for me, is far superior without. I actually had the same issue as you with my Cobs, and filter those. I've never gotten any ash from my Grabows. I will say, that my puffing technique has changed considerably, and that may have something to do with it as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that filter-free is the way to be. :th1:

Coda likes this.
  6. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks. Yeah, cobs have a much hole than usual on Dr. Grabow's, so there's much more of a chance of hot ash coming up the shank.

7. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Much bigger hole, as it were, lol....

8. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Almost all my Brairs are Grabows, and all the briars I regularly smoke are Grabows. While a lot of them are adjustomatics and don't take filters, the ones that do, I never use them.

9. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I thought all Dr Grabow pipes were filtered pipes?

10. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I used to "suck ash" once in a while (OK, almost regularly) whether smoking a filtered -- without filter -- or non-filtered pipe. For me, the secret to avoidance was just knowing when to say when. It would be the result of trying to squeeze just another few puffs of a really great smoke by a final re-light -- when there was actually nothing to relight. It was always handy to have a beverage nearby back then (and even now, I usually have coffee -- or something adult nearby -- but fortunately I don't have to rinse ash out of my mouth any more). :bing:

11. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I have to agree, lol. The time I "sucked ash" I knew I shouldn't have tried for that last relight. I also put the flame of the lighter too far down in the bowl. A small hot ash flew into my mouth and hit the back of my throat. Needess to say, it hasn't happened again.

12. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

When smoking a filtered pipe sans filter-be sure to use a q tip dipped in alcohol to clean the tar off the lip the filter would catch on. That will keep the taste at a respectable quality. If you later get into modifying pipes, smoothing the lip with a bit of sandpaper *can* correct the buildup issue. I don't recommend that unless you try it on a throwaway first! Cleaning every few smokes isn't too bothersome for me, I am taking a guess that others don't mind it much either.

13. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks! Will do. I use a mini bottle of Canadian Mist as my alcohol cleaner.

14. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Isopropyl has been used by many, I believe the myth has been dispelled of it being toxic. Alcohol evaporates at 78F; perhaps someone with a better chemistry background than I will chime in, and explain if the denaturing (aka what keeps it from being drinkable and thus taxed as "spirits") additives form a compound, or just a solution. Either way, I still use Isopropyl. I avoid consumable alcohol, walking into a liquor store just isn't good for my health or marriage.

kb7get likes this.
  15. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

They may be now. But a lot of the vintage Grabows, and "Adjustomatics" didn't have a filter or took a stinger instead.

I have 4 that won't take a filter, two of those have stingers.

16. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Ah, ok.

17. ted

ted Member

For me 151 Rum. Not only cleans, disenfects, leaves a good taste, but if you aint' happy, you can "take a 'pull'"....

18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Most all my briars dont take filters . The few briars and cobs that do take them .. I use . I guess it would depend on how you draw wether youd feel like it's restricted or not . I smoke OTC in my filter pipes and they seem made for each other . I wont bother smoking a flake in one . Easy smokin blends work great in the filtered pipes . SWR/MCB/H&H etc .. as an example

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.