1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Grabow

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jay, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Active Member

Just to say, my first Dr. Grabow. An official dead man's pipe. From Ebay for $5. Dirty with 30 years of neglect and crappy baccy. Reamed to the wood S&a treatment for a few days 176,014 pipe cleaners and a good time rubbing the muck off of it. This pipe is a straight billiard with a really small bowl and is an "adjustomatic", still had the stinger in it (gone now) this pipe is ugly, several fills, no finish on the wood, crappy grain and petite in size.

BUT wait there is more!!

This thing smokes like a champ! One light, straight to the bottom, one tap and the ash is gone. Doesn't get too hot and smokes for a bout 20 to 30 minutes. What a great little pipe, it really fits the bill for the short smoke with no fuss.

The best $5 I have spent in a long time

Thanks Doc!

Jason

2. Kingjango22

Kingjango22 Member

The Dr. Grabow brand is a very good economical brand. I have the Omega and love it! What do you have?

3. Jay

Jay Active Member

I don't know, is says "adjustomatic" on the side

4. nobler son

nobler son Member

I have two new Grabows I don't really care for, and two vintage Grabows that are my favorite smokers of the lot. Definitely a case of "they don't make em like they used to."

Any time someone can find a vintage Grabow, they should go for it.

5. Legend

Legend Member

Jay, every vintage Grabow I've got that was dirty, nasty, neglected, etc...has once it was cleaned up been an above average smoker. Especially the ones with a lot of cake in the bowl. That means someone loved that pipe, and smoked it a lot.

6. jayf

jayf Member

They make over 200,00 Dr G's per year. They can't be very bad puffers.
    Peace,
    Jayf

7. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

it's hard to beat a good dr.

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I initially overlooked Dr Grabows but now they're among my favorites! I find they're perfect for a short smoke and that whole "pre-smoked" thing actually seems to work. Every one I've got has smoked wonderfully from the first!

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Like OTC tobaccos and Zippo lighters they have really earned their way to being American Classics. Late in life I'm discovering the joys of American tobaccos and American pipes - and believe me they are made for eachother,

Best to all

Gerry

10. Kingjango22

Kingjango22 Member

I bought my Dr. G brandnew and loved the fact that I did not have to break it in, however I did not care for the fact that the only toby I had at the time was Captain Black...Still a great pipe either way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.