Dr. Rumney's

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mister Moo, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I found a tin of Rumney's snuff packed away in ther basement, full, from about 30 years ago. I miss this stuff sometimes. Anyone else have a Rumney jones?

Yes. I took a little toot...

[​IMG]

2. Spartan

Spartan Member

I've never heard of this. But he looks like an oompa loompa >.> Does it taste/smell like an oompa loompa?
    -Spartan

3. Mister Moo

It was the mentho-mindblower of ancient days. I imagine it went out of production 20-or-so years ago. It was punchy stuff.

[​IMG]

4. Spartan

Spartan Member

So you are telling me... That you took some of this stuff and shoved it up your nose? I don't get it. Why sniff tobacco? Kinda just crosses the line in my head to where i'm smokin' toby because i enjoy the taste to... I sniff it to get high off toby lol
    -Spartan

5. Mister Moo

Yes- you stick a pinch up your nose and sniff/snort. It makes me sneeze loudly and has a semi-Kodiak head rush associated. I guess you could say that fine-cut nasal snuff isn't for everyone.

6. Scottly

Scottly Member

I know it was done commonly back in the day but I never knew why. I think the old vintage silver plated snuff containers maybe collectible.

7. telltime

telltime Active Member

I had an uncle who didn't sniff this powder (his brand was CC), he dipped it. He started when he was quite young chewing his father's pipe tobacco (he used to say he started when he was about eight) and then dipped until his death... he died in 2003 when he was 81. He was actually my great uncle, and a favorite.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

makes sense...it would be like snus (which is made in a similar fashion) but dry rather than moist

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

10. Mister Moo

You a fan? Tried it? The review says it's more coarse which, for me, might be a disappointment.

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I've tried it. Reminds me of Hedges. About the only menthol snuff I like is McChrystal's, and then only rarely. If you like powerful menthols, Poeschl's Gletscherprise is usually easy to find, relatively. Or, if you have a pal in Europe, Red Bull.

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Hmmmmmmmmm, was that tin "sealed"? You left it there? You sure that's snuff? Don't be tootin' no brown ajax now Moo-Man! We needs ya here in the virtual tobacco fields and curing barns and smoking dens.........

Great find! Something about an old saying about "Fine as dusty snuff", really has added meaning here.

Ed
    Puff

13. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

I am a nasal snuff user as well! It is really an outstanding way to use tobacco. I have some Dr. Rumneys and enjoy it. It is a much darker color than your old tin and the menthol is outstanding. It really clears the sinuses. I started about 2 yrs ago to quit smoking cigarettes and it helps alot. It gives you the ability to enjoy tobacco just about anywhere and anytime.

14. Mister Moo

Yes, this stuff is pretty faded in color and menthol. It has a tobacco punch and mentholated hint left that is not bad but not very satisfactory.

15. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I find the newer version of Dr. Rumneys is a touch on the course side for my liking; but then again, most mentholated snuffs seem to be. I tend to lean towards the Toque offerings, both for tooting and for sprinkling on low-nic pipe-tobacco blends to provide the fix I so desire. Oh, and of course for dying all my kercheifs brown...

Spartan: A shot of snuff in the sinus will provide tobacco flavour like you wouldn't believe...some of the more aromatic snuffs stick with you for hours (in a good way).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.