DRAMA 2014: Changing Old Fart Requirements

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mister Moo, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

So I was smoking this old Tsuge chimney and it occured to me I had it more than five years before I really figured out how to enjoy it. I tried and tried and tried to enjoy the pipe but kept giving up and putting it away... I was going to sell it (lovely pipe, really) but thought to give it one more try. Presto - I finally cracked the code. Very sensitive pipe - tough to fill, tamp, smoke and ream but rewarding to sip when you have it right.

[​IMG]

In consideration of my epiphany I am changing the Old Fart regulations. From January 1, 2014, on you need a minimum five years pipe experience to reply to questions in that thread. We want more than the brightest and the best over there - we want people with a little arthritis, too.

2. kb7get

kb7get Member

Only thing I will say is some of the "newer" smokers have put way more effort into the study of art of pipe smoking. I feel that a lot of the "old farts" just smoke and don't pay any more attention to what they are doing besides grabbing a pipe & tobacco they like and going for it. To me a pipe is just a tool for burning the product I enjoy. Never have had an over 25-30 $ pipe. Also, tobacco is a like/don't like product for me. Some of these newer smokers have put much more effort into the art of pipe smoke and can blow me away with hows and whys things work. So, I feel some of the newer smokers (2-4 years) that have made more effort into pipes and tobaccos are light years ahead of myself and I have been smoking a pipe for over 40 years. I have learned more in the last 2 years after joining PSF than all the years put together before then smoking on my own.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  3. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

I agree. I've met some newer smokers who are more adept at the technical aspects of smoking than I'll ever be. And I've been smoking for 30 years. That's great, and it means they have a lot to contribute.

p120d16y, browny, dBear and 2 others like this.
  4. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I concur, Moo. While there is a lot to be said for someone who tears ass into pipe smoking and gobbles up megabytes of internet info by the minute, I believe that there is much, much more to take into consideration, your above example is a perfect one.

browny, TheModernGent, dmkerr and 5 others like this.
  6. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Ultimately, it's a mod's
    decision so don't get in
    tizzy if things don't go
    a specific way.
    On that note, I think
    5 years minimum is
    a good time frame.
    One isn't so green, or
    too set in their ways to
    Provide useful info.
    Just my tuppence.

8. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I'm in my third year now and practice a lot of restraint on that forum, but sometimes I do hit with some follow up stuff that is fresher in my memory than some of the over five year smokers. I believe some older folks have probably forgotten some of the little stuff mishaps they may have had early on.

p120d16y, dying breed, browny and 4 others like this.
  9. vmfa314

vmfa314 Member

What if you have only been smoking 2 years and you have arthritis anyway would that count if you had an answer or a suggestion on how to make a person's smoking experience more enjoyable? I understand that you want to draw on longer smoking members for their knowledge but sometimes longevity does not always translate into a right answer. Just my $.02 on the issue. We all can learn from someone no matter how old we are or how long you have been doing something. The trick is to keep the answers on a subject relevant and if you do not have a solid answer to the question do not post a response unless it is another question related to the original topic.
    Mack

p120d16y, browny, dBear and 4 others like this.
  10. Eric Pierson

If someone says something wrong due to a lack of experience someone with more experience will usually correct them and in that way you educate two people instead of one. If its not broke don't fix it.

p120d16y, browny, dBear and 3 others like this.
  11. County Mountie

Three questions:

1. What if the person's five years of experience eclipses the 30 years of experience that I or anyone else has?What if the person works in a pipe and tobacco shop? Or for smoking pipes.com? Or has a dad or uncle who taught them?

2. How will this new rule be enforced? Will birth certificates be required to post in that forum now?

3. What specifically are people with under five years experience (an arbitrary measurement) posting or doing that requires their advice to be weeded out and deleted for the supposed benefit of everyone else?

wildcrow, p120d16y, Stonewall and 7 others like this.
  12. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

I get it, there are just some things that only time and experience can teach.

A little discretion on the admins part might be called for though. For example on the front page of 'ask an old fart' it's mostly maintenance and technique questions, very much the domain of the old fart, but then there's one question about holiday sales. Is it really the worst thing in the world if a 2-3 year smoker answers it?

13. Eric Pierson

Btw. That's a nice pipe moo.

p120d16y, ChristTiger and beano like this.
  14. County Mountie

Seems like the sentence "this is a no snob zone" should be edited out of the rules for that forum now, because to have that rule on the same page as this new rule doesn't make much sense to me. I got a job at a pipe shop in college when I was 21 years old and had smoked a pipe about 3 times, and within a year I had learned so much more than I ever thought I would. Telling new smokers their opinions don't matter may have a pretty bad unintended consequence not only on the forum and climate of camaraderie itself, but on the smokers themselves too, as it would have had on me if the manager of that pipe shop had told me not to talk to any customers for five years.

But oh well, it's your website!

Stonewall, browny, dBear and 6 others like this.
  15. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

I think it's in how you look at things being asked or presented by new pipe smokers. For example, you may view a post that says "Why does this happen when I do this" and you laugh to yourself and remember how many times you had done the same thing before you figured it out. Yes, experience does teach faster at times but then there are times where you might actually think that the poster really should not have to go through a particularly bad experience, then you post something that may give him a shortcut to solving there problem or perceived problem. I personally don't beleive there is any degree of codgerism or geezerism needed to be able to help in that way.

browny, dBear, AustinLM and 5 others like this.
  16. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Yes

I can't speak for Moo, but my guess is that his new rule is a little "tongue and cheek". The old fart rules are sort of conceptual, and their enforcement is a complex function that involves chaos, complexity, and the consistency in which Moo is taking his meds. It was a personal sport of Moo's to bust me for posting in that sub-forum when I first got here. But it was all in good fun :D

17. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

...and the drama continues.
    I think the gist of this
    section is simply education.
    Helping noobs along
    the way. If one has insights
    On a specific topic, yet
    doesn't meet the criteria,
    Maybe he/she can preface
    A post with 'in my experience'
    Therefore, it's still educational.
    Lets find some middle ground
    here gents.

18. Benton629

Benton629 Member

Old farts need newbies like me in order to qualify.

I need to work on my scowl....

19. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

It's, It's a good idea Moo, and a valid one.

(Sadden'd with head held low, he leaves the computer screen)

p120d16y, jdto, ChristTiger and 2 others like this.
  20. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I am thinking Moo's post was done tongue-in-cheek, considering it was not posted in the forum it is referring to. I think if he was serious it would have been stickied or edited into the current rules there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.