Drawing too much on the pipe?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Sawbones, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

Sometimes latley I have not had the enjoyble bowls that I usually get. I think I may be puffing too hard or quick. I am really not having a tough time keeping it lit or anything like that. Sometimes I get it righ and it tastes great. Then I want to try a different type of tobacco and it just isn't right. My tongue burns, and so I usually have to wait until the next day. I don't want to become a "chain" pipe smoker by any means, but I do think I should be able to have more than one normal sized bowl a night.
    How slow do you guys puff on yours? Is it just a matter of time and it will not be like that?
    Am I puffing to fast, ( that is what I think, my bowl gets pretty warm) Or, and I don't think this is it - Am I just a weanie? :doh:

2. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

HCraven likes this.
  3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Try letting your tobacco dry a little before smoking it, gravity fill and tamp lightly just to knock the ash down, and most of all, sip it slowly, and enjoy!

4. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

Hey thanks Pecci, Wow that was just a few days ago, I never saw that thread.. .Thanks, Chuck

5. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

By gravity fill you mean just poor it in and let it go and light it? That is easy enough to do with my PA, I will try that tonight, thanks

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Just don't pack it down much until it's almost full.. just pack it way lighter than you think you should.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's right, 2k, excess heat and tongue bite is usually a result of packing too tight (or too loose, though that's less common), moisture, or cadence, or some combination of the three. You're not a wimp. Just dry your tobacco a little and take 'er easy, it'll come together.

Herb

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If you don't want to lay out leaf to dry, go ahead and load up a bowl or two of your next smokes (or at least what you've got planned atm) and while you're finishing this one, that one is drying in the bowl.

Loss of flavor and burnt tongue are signs of too fast and/or too deep. Sip/Nip the smoke and just slowly keep nippin' but very small bits. Switching leaf sometimes takes several bowl to burn through to figure it out in getting your best smoke(s) out of it. Prep it differently, and you do effect the flavor profile. Gross example: flake vs. rubbed

Your doin' it right when the flavor's right ;)

Ed
    Puff

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

11. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I am a beginner myself, and until recently I had your problem too. In short, the advice here is good.

Read the sticky post "How to pack your pipe". I wrote a long reply towards the end of that thread describing my process and how it's made such a huge difference to my smoking experience. I won't bother repeating it here.

Cheers & good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.