Droduction of peterson blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

Are peterson blends made in germany? I ask this because i cracked open a tin of uni flake and the paper wraper was the same design as solani. Also the uni flakes look exatcly like solani vir/per flakes.

2. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Humm, guess I haven't notice, I have the Sherlock Holmes, and sunset breeze blends. Maybe I wouldn't notice since they are not flakes.

Gunslinger,

David Emond likes this.
  3. Morse

Morse Active Member

4. David Emond

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

At least some are KK produced. I'm not sure about the aromatic mixtures - I think some were of Orlik descent at one point, but what that means now.... my tin of Gold Blend has no indication at all as to where it was made.

David Emond likes this.
  6. David Emond

Maybe just the flakes are made by KK

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

PPP as well - it also has the distinctive leaf-print.

David Emond likes this.
  8. David Emond

Maybe its still a quality tobby but it kind of cheapens the whole experience knowing that the tobacco was outsourced.

neoclassical likes this.
  9. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

they're all outsourced unless you're buying SG or GH
    K&K does most of them (former English brands), Orlik some, Planta the rest

10. David Emond

Thats too bad, you look at small operations like C&D that produce exellent tobby and do not have any issues with out of stock. Peterson could do the same.

Its like one of the big Canadian pipe company here called Brigham, their pipes are outsouced to Italy and their tobby is outsourced to Lane in the states.

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

They can't make money otherwise. It's a shame, for sure. But hell, even Stanwell couldn't maintain their operation on home turf.

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Peterson have not had tobacco with their name on it for very long (comparatively), and I don't think they ever produced it!. Why does it "cheapen the whole experience".......if you can still get it - and enjoy it?
    OT
    ps they don't make meerschaum pipes either!;)

Johnny Dingo and FlatbushPaul like this.
  13. David Emond

I dont know if i can explain it well in english. Its like you go and buy a peterson pipe and some peterson tobacco thinking that they made all of this and your all happy and then you find out that it was outsourced to a other country. It doesnt cheapen the tobby but just mentally a bit.

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Cigars are much the same. A handful of factories produce the majority of premium cigars. The only way the experience can be "cheapened" is if the Brand Holder buys from the factory "menu" instead of spec-ing it's own unique blend from available leaf, or providing it's own leaf to the factory.

BTW, don't read the label of that "Import Beer" in the fridge. You'd be surprised at where it may actually be made...

David Emond likes this.
  15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The only time I grumble about the old favourites being sub-contracted to a 'foreign' concern is when a difference to the original formula is very apparent. Although I can get the Peterson range of tobacco fairly easily, I'm not able to comment on how recent offerings compare with those of a few years ago, as the few that I tried did not impress me enough to stick with them.
    Several of our long-time favourites i.e :- St.Bruno, Condor, Walnut, Bulwark etc. have - in my opinion lost little or nothing in the transferance of production, but sadly there are also a few that still bear the legendary labels - but have just a slight resemblance to the blends of yore!.....Three Nuns, Gold Block, Capstan and Players come straight to mind!, but as we mention so often - 'one man's meat.....etc.' so I don't pay much heed to where it comes from - taste, price and availability are my deciding factors.
    OT

JimInks, jpberg, Stonewall and 2 others like this.
  16. David Emond

I guess outsourcing is just part of today's world and we need to accept it or move to something els hehe.

17. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

On a related note...

I smoke a lot of 5 Brothers. Part of the appeal, admittedly, was the fact that it was made in Kentucky...but I really like the stuff. Sometime around January, the company was bought by Lane, and production was moved to Denmark - I immediately bought a dozen pouches of made in Kentucky old stock. I've still got some, but I thought it worthwhile to try a pouch of the Lane stuff. To my relief, the tobacco hasn't changed a bit, except for being just a tad more moist. Sure, I'd get warm and fuzzy about buying an American product....but more importantly to me is that I can still get the tobacco I enjoy and it hasn't changed.

jpberg likes this.
  18. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I believe Irish Oak is the only Peterson offering I've tried thus far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.