1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Drying Out Flakes.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Badcompany, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hello Forum,
    When drying out flakes, do you loose flavour, or just moisture.

2. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

I've tried dying out SG BBF and it doesn't seem to taste as good to me.

3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

As with any tobacco, you just lose moisture...up to a point. Once youstart losing the essential oils in the tobacco, flavor can fade.

(T-Bear's opinion here) Flakes are an odd critter...to smoke their best, they should be somewhat dryer to your senses than RR'd tobaccos. The fact that they are compressed tends to make them "seem" dryer than they are. It takes a bit of getting used to. Dry them as you would a "normal" tobacco....then dry them a bit more. Above all, don't be afraid to experiment.

Set out 3 flakes from a tin. Clean one of your pipes and smoke all three in the same pipe. Smoke one after an hour, the second after 4/5 hours and the third after 8/9 hours....compare your experiences...take notes. Note the "dryness" (that a real word?) of each flake. Observe the flexibility of the flakes when you fold them. The one that gave the best smoke is where you want to smoke your flakes. (General rule, of course...)

4. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

Something else to consider when drying flakes is that up to a point, you GAIN flavor. The less moisture present in the tobacco, the cooler it will burn and the better the flavor will be.

As T-bear mentioned, flakes are compressed. They contain a lot more moisture than you might expect, even when they "feel" dry to the touch they often aren't... It took me quite a while to figure out exactly how Marlin Flake needed to be dried and loaded into the pipe.

5. noflex

noflex Member

Well T-bear has given you very good advice, so I'll just put in my $0.02

I almost only smoke VA Flake's and I must say, I like my flake's right out of the tin, the only flake I have smoked that have to dry out was FVF. I have tried to dry out other blend like OGS but it lose a lot of taste in my opinion.

6. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

What method do you use to pack your pipe, I always had a problem when i use the fold & stuff method.The pipe always seems to be packed to tight. I've put it down to that the tobacco is to moist.I really want to conker this method.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Foldnstuff works for me only on very thin, well cut flakes, like Navy Flake from Mac Baren, for example. Great chunky wet stuff from Gawith or even McClelland flakes do not smoke for me very well in this way. They seem to need more "roughing" up before being pitched in the bowl.

8. noflex

noflex Member

Well depend on the pipe and my mood, if I want a no fuzz smoke I rub the flake out, and pack the 3. step way. If I want a nice long smoke, I fold and stuff this way, is like the 3. step you have to find the right way of doing so. To get the hang of fold and stuff, use bowl size that are almost the same, and if you have OGS in the 50g tin, the flake's are a fine size, and a bit easyer to pack then the flake in the 100g tin.

The way to fold and stuff, just search on the forum or read this www.mac-baren.com/TopMenu/Expert-Knowledge/Flake-Tobacco/How-to-fill-a-pipe-1.aspx

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

FVF is the ONLY tobacco that I ever dry.I like my tobaccos as fresh as the day they were made.The only reason I dry FVF is because it's not a very pleasnat smoke without it. :yes:

10. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

With the fold & stuff method, make sure that you are leaving room both above and below the tobacco. Leaving a small amount of room for it to expand upwards and downwards can make all the difference If you use this method.

If you're already leaving air space both above and below, disregard. I use this method exclusively with my flakes now and it seems to work very well once I figured out how to do it.

11. ryan65

ryan65 Member

fresh flakes taste best to me, and if you let them sit in an airtight mason jar for just a few weeks, the flavor gets even better in my opinion. i used to dry my tobacco until recently, because i had problems if they weren't; however, upon changing my packing method on both the flakes and RR's, I wont dry tobacco again as the flavor seems to lose some of its character.

12. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

How do you pack your fresh flakes.

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Todd... a trick I came up with for thicker flakes. After folding them and shaping into a cylinder, hold both ends of the cylinder and twist it back and forth a bit. I put the tips of my fingers from each hand to where they just touch, and twist. This seems to free the strands enough to get a better burn. The flake needs to be pretty dry though.....
    Try it tonight and let me know what you think.

14. ryan65

ryan65 Member

i mostly rub it out and pack it very very lightly. i also use the roll and stuff method on my stonehaven cus it seems to respond better that way.

15. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Thanks for all the info,it was very helpful.Today i upped the size of my bowl and that has helped considerably.I opened a fresh tin of SG Kendal Cream Flake and used the fold & Stuff method,This was a lot better in the bigger bowl, The draw was good, but the taste / flavour was not as strong as I expected from a fresh flake.I have left two flakes out to dry and will smoke one after 2hrs and than after 6hrs.I'll just keep on experimenting till I get it right.Thanks again for all the info. :cheers:

16. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I just finished my supply of Stonehaven and found the optimum drying time to be around the ten hour mark.

17. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

^ :cheers: sad, but so true

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.