drying times

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user2453, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

Not to give birth to a dead subject but I am interested in how long the average smoker here dries their tobacco. I think I am in the minority but I'll dry a plug like Grousemoore after its sliced for hours. Penzance for hours also. Any Virginia for at least 30 minutes with the exception of 5100. That's the one tobacco I smoke without any drying. For English ribbon cuts like Squadron Leader I usually go for 30 minutes. Any flake for me needs at least 45 minutes in open air.

I know alot of posters here who smoke right from the tin. I just haven't been able to do it successfully. I use the 3 step packing method for most smokes. Sometimes the Frank method for longer cuts. The cannonball for rubbed flakes and plugs.

2. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I just feel it and smoke it when it is right. Drying time can vary widely depending on the humidity and temp and also depending on how moist the tobacco is to start with.

DeusExMachina and IrishRover like this.
  3. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Totally depends on the tobacco. Like Glenn said, it's mostly just by feel and the various conditions of the weather and moisture level of the tobacco. If you're looking to reduce the time it takes to dry out spreading it out on a dish and putting it under a lamp works well. Even just spreading it out in and letting it air out helps.

IrishRover likes this.
  4. John Long

John Long Member

Yes, anywhere from 30 minutes for ribbon cuts and what not to 4 hours for flakes and ropes and whatnot.

Oftentimes I let a half finished bowl sit overnight and it's just fine the following morning.

5. user2453

user2453 Member

Yeah I'm finding 4 hours for the grousemoor plug to be about right.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I smoke a fair amount of this - it's an OTC for me, but just rub it out thoroughly, and don't pack too tightly - and it's fine, straight from the 'block'.
    OT

Jammer likes this.
  7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I guess it all depends on the weather and the type of tobacco. It also depends on my attitude - if I am patient enough that day.
    I would say sometimes 15 -30 minutes. That is if I feel like waiting that long. Then the majority of the time it's 5 minutes or less. It all depends on the coffee maker and how long it takes me to pack the pipe, get my pc booted up.. :bing:

WyoBob likes this.
  8. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I dry my tobacco until it will not stick together when I squeeze it between my thumb and forefinger. It doesn't matter what the blend is, it has always worked for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.