Drying tobacco / smoking in humid weather

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DublinBecker, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

This summer has been exceptionally hot and humid in NYC. I am sure many of you who live along the Eastern seaboard are also experiencing unusually muggy conditions. What do you do when you feel like a smoke in a pinch and all of your tobacco require a couple of hours of airing out? or perhaps when airing out doesn't do much good to bring the tobacco to proper dryness given that the relative humidity is 70%+?

Has anyone tried drying the tobacco in the microwave? :)

Also, do you find your pipe to smoke wetter in humid summer weather?

2. Mr Doody

Mr Doody Member

i wouldn't try the microwave - that's asking for trouble IMO. it'll excite the water (moisture) molecules within the baccy and cook it. if you're desperate, i'd recommend (fwiw) putting it in your oven at the lowest setting - that'll cook the baccy too, but you'll have it at the lowest setting so there's some manner of control (unlike the nukage). i bet if you search on the forums you'll find some "recipes" for drying out baccy in the oven.

i was working out on the deck friday and TRYING to smoke some Solani Aged Burley Flake and GL Pease Sextant during the day. i set up a couple bowls of each to dry in the AM and i don't think any of it ever dried out. i just relit a lot!

g/l

doody.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like smoking fairly moist tobacco, but have bought the occasional flake that was just too wet. I got antsy about smoking a fresh flake, so threw it on a paper towl and hit it for about 30 seconds with my wife's hair dryer. It worked really well. Signs of desperation... :rolleyes:

Jammer likes this.
  4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Paper towel placed on top of a lampshade for about 10 to 15min dries a flake out nicely.

Jammer likes this.
  5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Hot and humid are a 6 months out of the year issue here. All summer it is 95-105 degrees and 80-90% humidity. Makes it tough to dry tobacco and even tougher to enjoy it if you only smoke outdoors like I do.

I have used a variety of methods to dry tobacco from a lamp, to the dash of my truck to a microwave. It all works if you are cautious. In the microwave you just hit it for 5-10 seconds and then let it sit. It works well for me. So does the dash of my truck or sitting in the direct sun in my sunroom. You have to monitor closely or it will be crispy. It is easy to dry too much.

My favorite solution is to open a tin and leave the lid off inside in the ac where the humidity is lower. It takes some time. When the moisture level is perfect I jar it up and it is ready to smoke when I am. I don't do this for aging, just for the stuff I plan to use.

6. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

The air con in my car does a good job of drying out tobacco.

Jammer likes this.
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Someone tipped me off to dry McClellands Dark Star for 5 seconds in the microwave. It was perfect.

Ever the experimentalist, I tried 10 seconds. It killed the tobacco.

If you use this method, go for the lowest possible time and work from there.

Jammer likes this.
  8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I can't get myself to try the micro with Dark Star. But I will say, that I don't seem to have the problem with relights that some guys here on the forum seem to experience. I rub it out in my palms until it is broken up really well and gravity pack it. Once lit it seems to go fine for me. Now granted I usually smoke it in a huge pipe that Sas made with an absolute perfect draw or an Altinok Meer that also has a perfect draw. Both pipes are huge so maybe that has something to do with it.

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Thank the pipe gods for a little
    invention called the humidome. :th1:

10. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks for the comments/ideas everyone. Sounds like microwaving is a risky endeavor... Hot humid weather is just not conducive to an enjoyable smoke.

11. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

The microwave really isn't risky, I use it all the time. Put it on a paper towel and pop it in for 5 seconds, pull it out and let it sit for a minute. If you have to, repeat after you let it sit for a minute or so. I think the key is that you want it to warm up just enough that some of the moisture evaporates but you don't want to cook it. If it is sizzling, hissing, spitting, popping, etc you went waaaay to long. If you pull it out and it is just warm to the touch, you probably did it just right.

12. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks Glenn. Will give that a shot. A bowl of tobacco isn't too much to lose anyway, in the event that the experiment doesn't turn out well. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.