"Dual Purpose Tobacco"

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, Nov 30, 2010.

1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Anyone who does 5 minutes of looking understands the whole deal with dual purpose tobacco, and nowhere have I seen anyone actually try to smoke this "pipe tobacco" in a pipe. Being one of those individuals that never leaves well enough alone, in the mood for an inhaled nicotine fix, and not deterred by the cheapest tobacco I could find; I decided why not be the idiot who tries this...

It's not something that's going to happen again. From a practical standpoint, the cut and moisture in a real pipe tobacco leaves enough pliability in the tobacco such that it can be manipulated while smoking it. This is not a quality one can attribute to "dual purpose" pipe tobacco. When one goes to tamper it, they are left with a little carbon puck that loses most all smoking ability. It doesn't take long until the volume of smoke is almost zero, and you get to thinking that maybe it went out... but it didn't. Instead, for all your efforts, you are rewarded with a superheated mass of smoldering tobacco in the middle of the bowl. It got so hot, that I burned a hole in my MM cob after attempting to smoke 4 bowls.

Another note I will make is that, although the tobacco is dry, it required a relight for nearly every draw. The smoldering superheated mass in the center releases nearly no smoke at all, and the tobacco on the outside burns to ash so fast that the ember isn't transferred to successive bits of tobacco. Also, the tar buildup in the bottom of the bowl was atrocious. Suffice to say, I wound up abandoning my curiosity and sprang for a RYO machine to finish off the tobacco.

I had yet to find a post on the subject, and my curiosity got the better of me. I figured I'd relay the experience.
  2. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

Thanks for sharing your cautionary tale with us, DMWyatt. I'm sure you've saved more than one of us from suffering through a poor smoke with this stuff.
  3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I must have missed the train on
    this one. What is it exactly?

dp
  4. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery The Libertine

I think he is talking about RYO tobacco being labelled as pipe tobacco.

In which case... he is a braver man than I for putting it in his pipe :D
  5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Ah, thanks, MG. So
    5 bros. is dual purpose?
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold " It takes a Pro to smoke an Aro " [ RG] Mayor

I look at it this way . On one hand it sucks that they're doing this in order to bypass the Obummer tax on RYO cigarette tobacco . It sucks cause it will at some point make the fed say ... ok , F the pipe tobacco people .. put a 2,000 % tax on them too . On the other hand ... if you can bypass the tax then youre f ing the fed .... that feels pretty good . ... So I guess smoking cigarette tobacco in a pipe sucks ..huh :groucho:
  7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

That's horrible. And what's worse is that you know there has to be budding pipe smokers out there who don't know any better who grab some of this garbage and try to stuf their pipes. Then they either blame themselves for the poor smoke or they give up all together. Really, it gives pipe tobacco a bad name!
  8. beaupipe

beaupipe Member

I guess it's too bad that the re-labelers are doing such a poor job, given that they are part of a long American tradition. Most of the familiar OTCs were designed as "dual-purpose" tobaccos (or "smoking mixtures") and seemed to satisfy both the pipers and the RYO crowd. Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Five Brothers...all were considered roll-able.

I haven't tried any of the ex-RYO tobacco in a pipe yet, though I've been tempted by the Daughters and Ryan blends, if only because they seem to be making a legitimate attempt to appeal to pipe smokers. I do, however, occasionally roll a cigarette from "real" pipe tobacco, especially first thing in the morning.

Just today, I rolled up some Royal Yacht in a Bugler paper. Nice smoke.
  9. sorringowl

sorringowl He ain't no Spring Chicken!

Hey Beaupipe,

Coming from not smoking anything myself for 40+ years, to pipe smoking now, I'm curious about how you smoke pipe tobacco in a RYO. Do you just puff, like a pipe? or do you inhale like a cig?
  10. BrucePerr

BrucePerr Member

My wife switched to RYO cigs because of the price of OTC cigs. I started looking around for tobacco and kept finding the dual purpose stuff. It is cut wider than cig tobacco but more narrow than a pipe cut. It is truly cigarette tobacco in a pipe tobacco package. The also mark it as full, light, ultra light and mint flavor pipe tobacco?

One way to get around the fed and state taxes. I prefer my real pipe tobacco and never thought about trying to smoke the stuff in my pipe. By the way she went from $80.00 for a carton to $4.00 a carton. Works for her.

Now I just have to stock up on good pipe tobacco before they get smart.
  11. user0003

user0003 Active Member

Prince Albert or Carter Hall will make a great RYO Cig and is even better is a bowl.

Just say'n :whistle:
  12. beaupipe

beaupipe Member

I smoke it like a cigarette.

I should say that I reserve this practice for one single mood. I live in the west, but my employer is based in the east. What this means is that my employer usually has about 3 hours to fill my in-box with poop before I sit down at my desk. Some days are far worse than others. On those days, I find that a nice, strong cigarette made from Five Brothers, Royal Yacht, or G&H's Dark Flake is just what I need to put myself in the right frame of mind.
  13. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

Shhhh! We don't want everyone to know! :spy:
  14. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I smoke cigs as well as my pipe, being that the cigs are being less and less now days but I roll my own, and i use the RYO pipe tobacco stuff cause i can get a pound of tobacco for around 12$. But i have never once put it into my pipe, it may say pipe tobacco but it is strictly for cigarettes only.
  15. Jay

Jay Active Member

OK, so I got some of the 5 bros. That **** is like smoking a road flare in your pipe! Holy balls of fire. It does better as a cig, but still burns the nose and curls the toes. But man what a way to start the day with a cup of joe. Just do it sitting down because your head will do the wamba-jamba and anybody who has had the wmaba-jamba knows it is best enjoyed in an other than standing position (the damn floor gets in the way!).

J
  16. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I bought a meerschaum that had been used for smoking the RYO stuff. It took some serious cleaning to restore it to its proper purpose. On the other hand, I have smoked SWR in a pipe and inhaled. Very cigarette-like. Made my hands and feet feel cold and clammy afterward.
  17. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I smoke Daughters and Ryan tobacco for my cigarettes, love the Widsail platinum and Three Sails for this purpose, but wouldn't put it in a pipe. I put some D&R Ramback in a pipe one time and it was tounge biting like crazy, I would never do it again. But D&R is great stuff for RYO cigs.
  18. nightstand

nightstand New Member

Not to change the subject from RYO/dual use pipe tobacco, I know Cotton Boll twist are used as "dual use". I just wondered if anyone tried smoking that in a cob or such? I have a boat load of that stuff and mainly use it for grinding into good, strong, coarse nasal snuff.

I'm guessing it would be a little too strong to smoke. :yikes: