Dunbar vs Dorchester

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Goat, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goat

Goat Active Member

I'm looking at some Esoterica blends and noticed that both of these are VaPers. Anyone have any experience with these and can tell me the difference?

2. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I love Dunbar. It smelled like sour, ripe fruit when I first opened the tin but has since calmed. I wrote a brief review on here. I have not tried Dorchester but have a sample in route. I will report back as soon as I try it.

3. Albert

Albert Active Member

I was wondering the same thing. saw tins of each today at the b&m and since I didn't know the difference I bought neither.

4. muddler

muddler Active Member

Dorchester is pretty mild in flavor - a bit anemic IMHO. Dunbar is far more complex. It ages really well too.

5. Goat

Goat Active Member

Ok. Thanks.
    Looks like I'll order some Dunbar.

6. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I like the Dorchester very much and I'd say it's smooth and very mild. It's only anemic if you require more perique, which Dunbar has.

7. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

This man is 100% correct!!!:thu2:

8. Goat

Goat Active Member

Well there ya have it, chicken approved.
    Dunbar it is then. Thanks guys.

Rewster66 likes this.
  9. keen smoke

keen smoke Member

Dunbar is definitely the choice of the two for my tastes. Dorchester seemed like it had very little perique (which is not what I want in a VaPer) and worse it had some casing or topping that I found intrusive - it had a winey, floral flavor, maybe fruity. Dunbar tastes much more like a classic VaPer to me, quite good. My only problem with it was the cut - in my tin it was very uneven and tangled, a mess! Not a big problem though... ;>

The biggest problems for me is that it seems to have very, very little perique, and it has some casing or topping that is fruity, winey... maybe slightly floral

10. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I finally got my hands on some Dorchester and to me, Dunbar is the superior blend. They are quite similar, but the Perique stands out much more in the Dunbar. I also might have to agree with "Keen Smoke" that the Dorchester had some topping? If not, there is a mild fruity flavor that comes out that is very nice. Also, I kept getting a "Carter Hall Essence" from the Dorchester?

This was a nice mellow, mild, subtle smoke, but I absolutely prefer Dunbar and see no reason to have both.

Goat likes this.
  11. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Just had a bowl of Dunbar to compare and now I'm confused. I found myself thinking about Dorchester while smoking Dunbar. :eek:

I was looking for that "fruity" essence that visited during the Dorchester smoke. Now I need to compare these two some more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.