1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Duncan Aerosphere

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jayf, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayf

jayf Member

These puffers look interesting to me, I've had a carey before not a bad pipe just wondering.

Thank you,
    Jayf

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I've had a few...good smokers for the price. It takes a bit to get used to the draw...more open and cooler due to the valves in the stems. I like them, but my focus has been more on the Careys so I traded them off. Love those "Magic Inch" pipes! Right now, I have two "7-day" rotations......

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

T-Bear don't want to go off topic - but how about writing a bit on Magic Inches on a new thread? Though I'm in Carey's Monthly Tobacco Club I've no experience of these pipes and would love to find out more,

Hopefully,

Gerry

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Sorry Gerry....i never researched them...I just smoke them. :groucho:

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

That's fine T Bear - I'll drop you a PM tomorrow - I've a few questions only someone who'se smoked them would know the answer to,

Gerry

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Waiting with cheese in my mouth Gerry.

= Baited (bated) breath. :whistle:

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I'd be interested in hearing more about those Carey Magic Inch pipes too. I see them around often, but I haven't wanted to take a risk on an unknown quantity.

8. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

The best thing about this forum is that no matter how much I read about pipe smoking and practice the lifestyle, I have no idea what you guys are talking about and I want to learn more. Not to highjack the thread, but would anyone want to explain what the Magic Inch pipe is. It sounds sort of creepy, like something made in a Play-Doh Fun Factory. I admit I don't do a lot of online shopping.

Thanks,
    WK

9. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

Here's a link to what is the "Magic Inch" It's suppose to give a cooler and drier smoking experience. Never smoked one myself, but it looks interesting.

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Wow the stem is made from Zytel 100! Can't beat that!

Thanks for the link, CL!

11. moshee

moshee Member

Had a Duncan Aerosphere decades ago. Kinda like smoking a lite cigarette. Pinhole allows outside air to mix with smoke stream. It does cool the smoke but also dilutes the flavor. Worst part of experience with my Aerosphere was that the darn thing would whistle as the air was sucked into the pipe. The technology of the pipe just didn't go well with me but YMMV.

The Carey Magic Inch with its papyrate sleeve was a better experience. As I recalled, the smoke was decent with no gurgle. Again, outside air is introduced through the sleeve. I ceased smoking the Carey pipe as I got tired of having to keep a supply of papyrate sleeves around.

12. Llynn

Llynn Member

I have a Duncan Aerosphere that I smoke OTC blends in. In truth, that little pin hole in the stem plugs up fairly quickly resulting is a pipe that just smokes like any other. It takes a really small needle to open it up again, but it plugs right back up the next time you smoke the pipe.

I won't throw the one I have away, but I have never even been tempted to buy another.

13. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Both pipes can be excellent smokers. I have one almost new Duncan A, and about 7 Carey MI's that I would sell that are estates if anyone is interested in trying one.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I think I've now got the answers to the questions I was going to ask!

Whalehead - E.A.Carey patented his "Magic Inch" system around 1948, with the stated aim of "ensuring a cool dry smoke without detracting from the fulsome flavour of his choice tobaccos." The pipes feature an outer vent which admits fresh air supposedly cooling the smoke. Inside the stem is fitted one of his "Papyrate" sleeves which agin reportedly absorbs moisture from the smoke. This sleeve is said to squeeze out excess moisture which in turn evaporates into the outside air via the vents in the stem.

I use words like "is said" and "reportedly" simply because I have no experience of smoking such a pipe. The system has many fans and has been on the go a long time. Morleysson has commented previously that Carey Magic Inch pipes often have a much better grain than could be expected for their price point. If you Google E.A.Carey U.K. you'll see examples of Magic Inch pipes. Back in the 70s Carey would send you a Magic Inch free for a month - if you liked it you paid for it; if you din't you broke it in half and returned it with nothing to pay.

I always wondered would such pipes "whistle" and would the taste of the tobacco be weakened by the air vent. I also wondered if they would smell "goo-ey" in use as the moisture trapped by the sleeve evaporated into the outside air.

The Duncan Aeroshere is as I understand it made for Careys, and again admits air until the valve goos up. Obviously Carey believed in this system of extra fresh air. The experiences of those who have smoked such a Duncan have been very useful to me.

Best to all,

Gerry

15. jayf

jayf Member

Thank you for the info Guys,
    Peace,
    Jayf

16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've told this story before....

Many years ago I bought a paper grocery bag (literally) full of pipes at a flea market around Stowe Vt. One of the pipes in the bag was a MI, it was pretty battered, but intact, and the bowl was well caked, but well trimmed. I cleaned it up as best I could, then took it to my local pipe shop for a proper reaming and buffing. (yes, gentle reader, pipe shops used to do a complimentary cleaning for their customers) The shop was able to get me some replacement papyrus, which I used exactly once before ripping the contraption out, and wrapping the slats with electrical tape. I know, TBear, I know, not recommended :yes: .

I don't know the age of that pipe, it is a patent, but I've never followed through to try and correlate the patent number to a date. The pipe is really well made, unlike later models (labeled Grecian Briar) which I found to be complete ****e all the way round.

I still have the pipe, and have no problems with it, and would recommend anyone wanting to try one to look for one with a patent number, I think it says "Made in London" (something like that) as well.

Sorry to keep the thread hijacked, but it's a great pipe, one of many out of that five dollar paper bag.

17. fallsguy

fallsguy Member

You won't go wrong with one of these. The paper sleeve that fits in the stem absorbs a lot of moisture. And the quality of the briar isn't bad either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.