Dunhill 965 ...... Must try or wait??

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cigarmonkey21, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cigarmonkey21

cigarmonkey21 Member

Dunhill 965 sounds like a very good mix. I'm a newbie to all this and wondering if it should be put on the list of next 5 to sample and what would you describe the taste to be?

2. NoRm

NoRm Member

It's hard to describe flavors. What does a strawberry taste like? How about green beans? Or, can you imagine trying to explain what color is to a person whom has been blind from birth?
    Latakia is a wonderful thing. Yes, cigarmonkey21, you definitely should try it.

Ted Vig, Jammer and user2725 like this.
  3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Dunhill 965: Probably THE best mixture ever accomplished and a staple in my tobacco diet.:)
    It has a slighty nutty taste, and the roomnote has been described by some as "fir tree".
    Try it! And even if you don't dig it straight away come back to it! It does have an acquired taste; even I didn't take to it first but now.... it's heaven!:bing:

user2725 likes this.
  4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Try it! It was my 1st tin, Beale.

user2725 likes this.
  5. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

I finished a tin not too long ago, I think its the 'creamiest' of all the dunhills. Very nice, decent nic levels. If I was you, I would get it now (if you like english tobacco), get some London mixture while you're at it, it's yum..

Dunhill flake is pretty good too.....

Ted Vig and user2725 like this.
  6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Why not? Just smoke it.. like nike says..
    ;)

user2725 likes this.
  7. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I find 965 to be a well balance English, I would say "get some!" If you like English/Balkan blends I can't imagine you not liking this one.

8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

To borrow a phrase, 965 is the nutz! Nice early smoke in a bent briar.

I have a pretty serious stash of my local B&M's 965 mix. Contact me for a few bowls.

user2725 likes this.
  9. NamelessHobo

NamelessHobo Member

It's one of the first blends I ordered. But, then again, I tried latakia sooner than a lot of people do and liked it a lot.

user2725 likes this.
  10. trainpipeman

trainpipeman Member

The older version of 965 was my favorite blend. What was re-introduced last year was a disappointment. It tasted "ashy", even on first light. Perhaps another tin is in order.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Another tin is in order. I smoked a ton of Murray's 965 and I found the Orlik to be true to my memory of the Murray's. I did try the two back to back but unfortunately the Murrays had 10+ years of age on it so it wasn't a fair comparison. Even so, they were closer than I thought they'd be.

12. trainpipeman

trainpipeman Member

I think that you are right. I will get another tin, and give it a try. It may be that the tin that I tried last year was just the "off" tin. A cigar-smoking friend asked what blend I recommend, and I gave him a tin of 965. I cannot wait to hear his reaction.

user2725 likes this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Someone sent me a small sample and I quite liked it. Certainly enough to get more. If you like English blends you will probably like 965.

user2725 likes this.
  14. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

Even if you have not tried English blends you may still like it. I have been stuck on aromatics since I started smoking, and tried 965 and loved it.

MacNutz and user2725 like this.
  15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Definitely is a must try! I guarantee it will be your favorite or I'll smoke it for ya!

user2725 likes this.
  16. Marker

Marker Active Member

Tried some 965 that Spillproof sent me in his samples. I have to say it is the best of what I have tried. My other friends commented on the room note and were jealous. I am going to buy a bit of this to keep around in a mason jar.

Spillproof likes this.
  17. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Try it so you can get it out of your system.

dmkerr likes this.
  18. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yeah, you don't want to be carrying that mess around. Best to deal with it head on and quickly before it takes over your life. :D

user2725 likes this.
  19. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Not to complicate things ;) but McClelland makes a 965 Match (called 925) that's pretty darn good too, you might want to try it also, you may like it just as much and it's less expensive (available in bulk).

Marker likes this.
  20. Marker

Marker Active Member

You didn't complicate anything. I will get around to trying the McC 925 sometime but I will buy the stuff I am smoking and enjoy first to put some away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.