Dunhill Bulk Blends Relaunch

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Pipes and cigars has Dunhill blends, sold loose, back in stock after years without them. Currently offered are EMP and 965. Still no Durbar, tinned or otherwise, but good news if you like these two blends and want to save a little money :puffy:

Coastal Bend and Coda like this.
  2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Altadis?

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

The Altadis 965 match is pretty good...just sayin. Lookin forward to bulk London Mixture...

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  5. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Nesta,I know what you mean about Dunbar. They did have Dorchester in 8 oz. bags in for 5 minutes. I got a "back in stock" e-mail and called immediately. They were out by the time I did that. I wonder how long the Dunhill bulk will last?

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Durbar, not Dunbar. Durbar was a Dunhill blend that was discontinued quite a while ago....Dunbar is Esoterica....

Durbar was probably the finest English blend I've ever smoked. It was taken off the market years ago, though :(
    [​IMG]

Sort of imagine like Rattrays Red Rapparee but somehow even better. It was great...pretty oriental forward, but still a decent latakia presence. Sort of like EMP with a lat kick and some actual nicotine.

OldSouled65 likes this.
  7. JimInks

Nesta, I used to be able to read!! :) Btw, I never smoked Durbar. Tell me about it.

TedVig likes this.
  8. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Nesta, you are quick. I just noticed the email and was about to post a note. But you already have. Good. :thu2:

(I was going to wait a month or two before placing my next order. Now I'm trying to get one off today.)

9. jpberg

Well who was making the Dunhill bulk previously, Lane?

dmkerr likes this.
  10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Sort of....best I can describe it is imagine a happy medium between Rattray's Red Rapparee and Dunhill's Nightcap....it has the balance of RRR, it's very oriental dominated like RRR, but like Nightcap it also has a noteworthy latakia presence and enough nicotine to satisfy. It's perfectly balanced, oriental forward but strong and full bodied. Unlike Nightcap, I don't believe there was any perique.

jpberg, I think you're right, I think Lane did

JimInks likes this.
  11. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Just saw that too, can't wait.

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I believe so, so your Altadis question is possibly relevant. I'm not positive it was Lane but I am positive it wasn't Murray. Smoking the bulk and the tinned 965 back to back in the 1990's was my first tobacco WTF? experience. They tasted nothing alike.

WrightwoodJohn and jpberg like this.
  13. JimInks

Nesta, thank you for the review. It did something very unexpected for me. Once I saw your photo of the tin, I was reminded I own one unopened tin that I inherited when a dear friend passed away a couple of years ago. I don't know the date of the tin, but it does have a "e" on it. My late buddy would have bought it between 2002 and 2005, when he was stockpiling up tobaccos to try. Guess I'll have to open it one of these days. Right now, I have a little over half a pound of Onyx to smoke first. I also discovered I own an unopened tin of Aperitif and two tins of Nightcap from the same time period, plus London Mixture from 2001. I'm glad I looked through the box, which I wouldn't have done if you hadn't started this thread! :)

nesta likes this.
  14. jpberg

Zactly.

15. Johnny

Johnny Member

EMP wouldn't be bad but I want some bulk Nightcap!

16. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

It was Lane. :confused:

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

lucky.

And also I'm curious - did Murray make any blends to be sold loose at all? I'm really curious, because I don't know much about them. I was pretty sure that Orlik does - but I can't seem to find any evidence to this and can't think of what blends those would be.

Anyway, I know that Altadis does already make some matches that they've been selling for a while - but these do not appear to be what are being sold on P&C. They have already been there on that site, but now there is a new spot for Dunhill bulk, sold under the Dunhill name, and not simply "like" Dunhill.

Someone order some up and let us know how it is!

JimInks likes this.
  18. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I bought some bulk Nitecap at a B&M recently. The owner insisted it was Dunhil. After doing a little research online I could not find any bulk Dunhil Nitecap which leads me to believe that it is a match.

I've never tried tinned Nitecap so I'm not sure how similar it is. If there is anyone here who is familiar with the real thing I would be interested in sending out a small sample for comparison.

19. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

If it actually was "Dunhil Nitecap" (instead of Dunhill Nightcap) he was selling it might be like buying the Rolfex watch for 10-bucks from one of those guys near Times Square who have a card table for a store. :byg:

Rodfather likes this.
  20. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Please excuse my ignorance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.